Stinky neutered boy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lala007

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

we have had Shin Shin for about 6 weeks now. he is young --probably between 7-12 months and neutered. he eats the same diet as Grendel except that he's a much better hay eater. everything seems good with him except he stinks! we are still getting to know bunnies, and getting to know Shin Shin. could he be sick? dirty scent glands? does he need to be cleaned? Grendel does not stink, but I can actually smell stinky Shin Shin as far away as 3-4 feet! help!

indebted to you all --

lala

Explain the smell... is it like old pee, musky, sour, wet dog type small of foul something died smell? Cecils could be trapped in his fur or he may need his scent glands cleaned. Most just use a wet qtip. I haven't had to do it so i will let a professional leave you the directions
But its probably that simple.;);)

lala007 wrote:
OK, that's what I was hoping! I have never dealt with this before; is it overkill to take him to the vet for the first cleaning?
I think it would be overkill. Here's a video that can help you do it yourself. Haven't had to clean any of my bunnies, but I do check the scent glands.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h5QSFDpVzI[/ame]

K

Yeah i haven't personally done the glands for my bunnies, but I don't think its hard at all-at least from what everyone says! I've read you should do it everymonth or two but maybe that's way too much.

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
Yeah i haven't personally done the glands for my bunnies, but I don't think its hard at all-at least from what everyone says! I've read you should do it everymonth or two but maybe that's way too much.
I check every month. It's easy when I do nails or groom. Just flip and check. Also if you allow your bunny a good run beforehand, they seem to be more relaxed and easier to check. And groom. Found this with Neville and Luna. Gets the excess energy out and we all can enjoy the grooming and the contact.

K

I think I'd have the vet do it the 1st time, but watch to see how it's done. It depends how soon you can get to the vet's, plus the state of your stomach vs your wallet & if there's anything else you want the vet to check on at the same time.

Well, He is still pretty skittish so that is tricky. both of the buns live in a bunny-proofed room except when they are running around outside. He really really hates being caught, so I try to do it once a week. He says we can hang out together, and he will eat treats from my hand, but he really doesn't trust me yet. I guess cleaning his scent glands won't make him hate me too much more than he already does ...

Let us know how it goes, so we can make a decision when or if the need arises. I hope it goes well, but the vet can be a standby position, plan b.

If your bunny is that skittish, I would go to the Vet. But in the mean time, I'd work on gaining their trust. You really need to be able to handle your bunny for their maintenance needs (nail clipping, grooming, and cleaning scent glands). It's good to have a Plan B (Vet), but that visit to the Vet, is also stressful on your bunny too.

K

The only other thought I have is, is he neutered? My kids really stunk until they were fixed.

It's probably a good idea to get a check up just in case, if you can afford it. Then make sure the vet cleans the glands while there. I made sure to request the glands get cleaned when the buns were out for fixing. I figured the vet would have a much easier time if they were out cold than I would trying to do it awake before we had a chance to bond. That gave us time to trust each other before I had to be so invasive.

MiniLopHop wrote:
The only other thought I have is, is he neutered? My kids really stunk until they were fixed.

It's probably a good idea to get a check up just in case, if you can afford it. Then make sure the vet cleans the glands while there. I made sure to request the glands get cleaned when the buns were out for fixing. I figured the vet would have a much easier time if they were out cold than I would trying to do it awake before we had a chance to bond. That gave us time to trust each other before I had to be so invasive.
Lala007 posted:
we have had Shin Shin for about 6 weeks now. he is young --probably between 7-12 months and neutered.

Brandi, he is neutered. But good idea for those who will get their bunnies neutered/spayed to request to the Vet to check. I even had my Rabbit Savvy Vet check Dobby and Kreacher's jaw and teeth. By 4 months, he would know if they had any problems.

K

thanks everyone-- he did have a vet check within a couple of days that we got him, and all was well at that point. I got derailed from working on our trust issues since one of my cats was dying from cancer -- he was enthanized last week, so now we are working on getting life back together.

I'm so sorry for your loss, it is very difficult to lose a family member.

I'm a dork and missed the neutered part, oops. Yeah, I had the vet check teeth when they were out too. It is so much less stressful for them that way.

Since the vet check was recent I would just clean the glands (youtube has tons of videos) and see if that helps.

Latest posts

Back