Stinky butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, my room has been very smelly lately from haru
The bad smell is coming from her, I tried sniffing her, and she was okay, the bad smell was only from her butt
She’s not spayed, are these pheromones, or is it from her scent glands?i can’t clean it for her, but she’s cleaning it by herself.
I got her when she was 4 months old, and took her to a groomer when she was eight, no one has ever cleaned her scent glands for eight months, but the groomer told me that it was pretty clean, now she’s one year old, and it’s been 4 months since the grooming visit, but I still see her cleaning herself pretty well, I’m not allowed to hold her, but when I lift up her tail when she’s sleeping, her butt looks clean, what’s the bad smell
Also, the smell comes and goes, like.. it would be fine, then suddenly it’s so bad to the point that it makes me gag, it’s like she’s farting or something, in the beginning I thought that she was pooping, and every time she poops I would smell it because the poops are still fresh, but then i looked at her, and she was sleeping!!

I'm not sure if this was answered but it's probably scent glands. If not, it could be an infection. But i'd clean the scent glands first and if it's not that, might be worth a vet trip

Does it smell a bit like onions perchance? The oniony smell is often related to poops coated in an oil related to territorial marking (to my understanding). That is quite common for unspayed females. Spaying would reduce the occurrence of these poops typically.

Latest posts

Back