Stinky Butt Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieHoani

Reaction score
I've never had experience with long haired rabbits before and am looking to learn. I've noticed recently that my double maned lionhead smells like pee around her butt area I have been changing her litter every day to prevent her sitting in soiled hay which I read can cause a stinky butt but it would seem that its not enough. I've read that a butt bath may be in order however I know that baths can be stressful for rabbits and I don't want to stress her out if its not necessary. Any advice on cleaning her and preventing this?

She should be able to keep herself clean. If this isn't happening, then a butt bath is ok to give for now. You don't want the urine to scald her delicate skin.

It'll be important to find the cause/solution as well. Could you provide a photo of her housing setup and litter box? Is she consistent with her potty habits? Is she indoors/out? Are there other rabbits around? How long have you had her (is this something she's always had issues with or is it new)?

In the meantime, here is are instructions for safely giving a butt bath (from the myhouserabbit site)

Baths can be very traumatic for bunnies, so if possible, try to avoid a bath, and just spot clean the area using a wet paper towel. However, if the feces have hardened and the area is very messy, the next course of action is a shallow bath.
Fill a sink with a few inches of warm water (just enough so that the soiled area will be submerged) and mix in a dollop of pet shampoo (NOT human shampoo). Place your bunny in the bath and wash the soiled area until clean. Change out the water as necessary. Be careful when washing the area as the skin is very sensitive! Once your bunny is clean, rinse the soapy areas with warm water and then gently towel dry your bunny. Make sure your rabbit is not exposed to cold temperatures before fully dry.

I would say to investigate further. How does your bunnies bottom look? Is the fur matted a bit?(this could make their litter hang around in there matted fur) is droppings stuck in their fur?

bunnies have sent glands near their pooty hole that the pooters and tinkles come from. Could it be that their sent glands are full and or blocked?(they usually groom their sent glands themselves to keep things regular for themself but either way there will be some type of odor. But if it’s blocked, infected or you bunny hasn’t been able to clean it then the odor will be strong.)

Is it just her bum that smells, or does she actually have urine soaked fur(wet) or urine stained fur(dry)? And is she experiencing any fur loss in the area as well? Does your rabbit ever have pee accidents or dribble urine, and does she walk in it? Along with posting your litter box set up, describe what litter you use in it. This could just be a problem that can be solved with a change in set up, or it could be a potential health issue.

Thanks for the advice everyone! She currently uses a litter tray with puppy pads which I change daily, I am starting to think that her fur is stained in urine hence the smell, I think this is probably due to the fact that she is double maned and her long fur is easily soiled when she pees. This being said, is there any changes that could be made to her litter box setup? This setup has worked for our older bun since we got him but since our new little one is long haired it may require changes, any advice is appreciated :)

Attachments

• 20210322_134748.jpg
    20210322_134748.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi, I have a few very hairy rabbits, I never have any problems with smell nor have I clean them, they clean themselves very well. It is your toilet that needs to be improved, just throw away pee pads and never use them again. They simply not suitable for rabbits and they also can chew on plastic which is dangerous because small plastic pieces can cause blockages. So your toilet is good size no need to change it, just get wood pellets and put about 1 inch layer of pellets in it and cover with hay. You will need to empty/rinse/refill her toilet twice a week. Some people do it once a week, it depends on how much your bun drinks so how much she will pee.

Baths are last resort, I would only use butt bath if rabbit is seriously ill and weak, maybe old etc. It is hard to tell without seeing your bunny how bad it is, from what you described I think that her hair stink now. I would take a little washing up sink bowl would put a towel into it and would add some warm water so just towel is damp but no water in there. let her sit on it for a minute then clean her hind part with that towel, then put her on a dry towel and dry her hair as much as you can. I would use paper towels after that because they absorb better. Make sure her hair is completely dry.
Her feet must be also stinky and yellow, so don't forget to dry them well too.

When you change your setup to wood pellets it will be always dry and she will clean herself. If she has matted hair on her butt maybe you will need to brush and clip some knots. If you can take a pic that would be easier to suggest.

I'll get you some links where you can get wood pellets now

The cheapest would be in Tesco just make sure it is WOOD not any other type of cat litter. Pet stores sell wood pellets as well, just see it must be not flakes or anything, see how they look in pics. They absorb urine really well and will completely fix your problem.

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/252867475
Can't insert photo for some reason but you will see on the package in that link, maybe someone can post a pic here.

Here's a pic I've posted previously this shows how wood pellets will raise in the corner when my rabbit had his pee-spot.

p1040754-jpg.43131

Here's another toilet and Fred as you can see he is a lionhead and this is his toilet after one week of use. But he drunk very little water so one week was fine. He is now neutered and shares toilet with Bernie so it looks differently now, this is an old pic from a couple years ago

p1040321-jpg.43226

As you can see his belly and feet are spotless, and it is always same, never matted hair or stinky, love this pic

p1030707-jpg.43127

Last edited:
Here's a pic I've posted previously this shows how wood pellets will raise in the corner when my rabbit had his pee-spot.

p1040754-jpg.43131
Thanks for all the advice, super super helpful! I'll make sure to pick some up today if possible, I've given her a bath with the method recommended and she's already loads fresher and cleaner :) she's a happy bunny!

Latest posts

Back