STD risk w/new rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green2Rabbits

Reaction score
Just starting out my group so far I only have a 8 week old doe Satin but an American Chinchilla claimed just waiting for it to be old enough to bring home.

Without taking both rabbits to a vet to get STD bloodwork (if that's a thing) how can I check for diseases? Also is there any risk with a rabbit getting eaten who has an STD? Since there meat rabbits if they look healthy and are cooked they meat would be safe even if they had something....right?
There aren't a lot of good selection in my area and so far I have looked at the "vent" to sex both rabbits and it looks normal (I guess) no lumps, bumps, or discharge.

My breeders I want to have several years so want to know if there is a visual trick to tell.
Thanks!

A bloodwork panel is the only way to check for diseases unless there are signs and symptoms. However, I really think a different forum might be able to answer these questions better. Most people on here are pet owners. We do respect all people who want to care for rabbits but for your sake, best to find a forum more geared toward that.

A bloodwork panel is the only way to check for diseases unless there are signs and symptoms. However, I really think a different forum might be able to answer these questions better. Most people on here are pet owners. We do respect all people who want to care for rabbits but for your sake, best to find a forum more geared toward that.
Thanks. After making an account and a few posts I now see that and am. Thanks for answering the question! I'll try to delete this question now

The only STD rabbits really get is rabbit syphilis, aka vent disease. I don't know of any sort of bloodwork to test for it; and usually if you quarantine rabbits for 31 days before breeding them you don't have issues. Besides; vent disease can be treated with antibiotics and I've not heard of anybody having issues with eating rabbits infected with it - it can't be transferred to any other species.

The only STD rabbits really get is rabbit syphilis, aka vent disease. I don't know of any sort of bloodwork to test for it; and usually if you quarantine rabbits for 31 days before breeding them you don't have issues. Besides; vent disease can be treated with antibiotics and I've not heard of anybody having issues with eating rabbits infected with it - it can't be transferred to any other species.
Thanks for the info! I don't mind taking a rabbit to the vet for health issues but I didn't want to pay a hundred or more dollars for testing if they can be seen and treated without labs. I'll do the quarantine when I get my buck thanks.
After I posted this I thought about it and hunters never worry about eating a wild rabbit without checking so I kind of figured it would be okay. Should have thought more on that part of the question. Lol.
Thanks alot!

Latest posts

Back