Staying 2 nights at the vet for a spay??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pherber12

Reaction score
I desperately want to get Roxy spayed but this situation with the vet is stressing me out. I live in an agricultural area so I guess they don't see a lot of rabbits as pets.

There are only 2 vets that will neuter a rabbit. The first was recommended by all the other vet clinics I called because they don't deal with rabbits, and the second was recommended by a hobby breeder I met online.

The thing is both vets insist that the rabbit spend 2 nights at the clinic. I would have to drop her off the night before her spay and then pick her up the day after her spay, and I really don't want to have to do that. I just don't think she would be comfortable eating a lot the night before her spay if she is at the clinic and it seems it would be too much stress for her. The second vet mentioned bringing in food, a blanket and hay for her overnight stay so at least I know they would allow her food, but I'm thinking the first vet would just fast her the night before which I know is very bad...

Plus I'm getting no support from family. My sister thinks it is an unnecessary surgery, and when I told my mom that 80% of does get cancer by age 5 she told me she wasn't going to live that long.

Even the vet questioned why I wanted to get it done. They think that if I want to have her bonded I should just do the male and leave her intact unless she is aggressive because it's less invasive to do a male.

GAH, I know what I have to do. I know that I need to get her spayed as soon as possible since I don't know her age -- but it just seems like everyone is against me...

pherber12 wrote:
Even the vet questioned why I wanted to get it done. They think that if I want to have her bonded I should just do the male and leave her intact unless she is aggressive because it's less invasive to do a male.
This would worry me, if a vet is rabbit savy they would know the reason why. I would not take my rabbit to that vet and try to find another vet, i know there are people here that might be near your area and might be able to help with a vet near you. As far as leaving your rabbit 2 days i think that is ridiculous a cat and dog dont even stay that long. I think it would stress your rabbit out way to much to stay at a vet office for two days then to have a big surgery like that, i too would worry that they would be fasting your rabbit before surgery. IT they knew anything about rabbits that wouldnt even be a suggestions on thier part.

In my opinion i would not take her there , for anything, i feel like they really dont know about rabbits. Try finding somewhere else that does rabbits, i think you can go to rabbit.org and find vets in your area

good luck and i hope you find someone that knows about rabbits to do the spay

It is worrying me too, but sadly those are my only 2 options. I have called every vet and only those 2 clinics will spay a rabbit. So either I go to either one of those vets - and put her in danger because they don't know what they are doing, or I don't have her spayed and risk her getting cancer... Either way I lose :(

Rabbit.org doesn't have any vets in my area, I've already checked. :(

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
This would worry me, if a vet is rabbit savy they would know the reason why. I would not take my rabbit to that vet and try to find another vet, i know there are people here that might be near your area and might be able to help with a vet near you. As far as leaving your rabbit 2 days i think that is ridiculous a cat and dog dont even stay that long. I think it would stress your rabbit out way to much to stay at a vet office for two days then to have a big surgery like that, i too would worry that they would be fasting your rabbit before surgery. IT they knew anything about rabbits that wouldnt even be a suggestions on thier part.

In my opinion i would not take her there , for anything, i feel like they really dont know about rabbits. Try finding somewhere else that does rabbits, i think you can go to rabbit.org and find vets in your area

good luck and i hope you find someone that knows about rabbits to do the spay

I would only do it if they have someone who can treat rabbits overnight. This does not sound like a good place for the bun to be. The second place sounds better see if they would do a early morning drop off and than go from there.

With my rabbitsI left them about two days. They are there 24hrs and I make sure when mine were done they had someone there who knew rabbits. I could have dropped them off day of but would have to have been there way to early. At the time hubby worked in one direction the vets was in another. They went in the night before and I picked them up the day after.

ETA: I fixed it because it made no sense. :p

oh man i am so sorry that no one else is closer, either situation is bad, but at this point it is which of the worse is worser. I dont know what to say but i hope that you are able to come up with something that you feel comfortable doing

Well, I just spoke to my sister and got a bit more information. I had her call the clinics because I'm not so good with the French, so I had emailed her a bunch of questions for her to ask.

Looks like I can drop her off the morning of the surgery with no problems, I guess they offer the night drop off for people who are at work and can't make it there in the morning.. so that makes me feel a little better.

I'm still a little iffy about them wondering why I would want to spay a doe, but if my sister only spoke to the receptionist that could explain it. I'm gonna ask her to call again tomorrow to get some clarification...

JadeIcing wrote:
I would only do it if they have someone who can treat rabbits overnight. This does not sound like a good place for the bun to be. The second place sounds better see if they would do a early morning drop off and than go from there.

Which is why I did with my rabbits. They are there 24hrs and I make sure when mine our done they will have someone there. I could have dropped them off day of but would have to have been there way to early. At the time hubby worked in one direction the vets was in another. They went in the night before and I picked them up the day after.

I am sorry that finding a vet is so stressful! I have been there and know that sinking feeling! I hope you find the right vet and that all goes well! :hug:

That's true as well. At least they knew that bunnies can eat the night before their surgery, so that's a start. I want to regroup, and then get my sister to call again with more questions until I feel better about getting Roxy spayed there as they are really my only option...

JadeIcing wrote:
Being a rural area they could be surprised doesn't mean they are bad.

It's tough. I've known I needed to get this done for months but I didn't really want to face it :(

Everyone in my real life seem to think I'm overreacting, so now I'm starting to feel foolish. Only bunny people understand...

kherrmann3 wrote:
I am sorry that finding a vet is so stressful! I have been there and know that sinking feeling! I hope you find the right vet and that all goes well! :hug:

I'm sorry this is tough and your family isn't sticking up for you! Did you tell them that the average life expectancy of a house rabbit is 8-10 years? The average life expectancy decreases to 3-4 I think without being fixed. That should get them to see the importance of a spay! I couldn't bear to see beautiful Roxy taken by something totally preventable.

pherber12 wrote:
Plus I'm getting no support from family. My sister thinks it is an unnecessary surgery, and when I told my mom that 80% of does get cancer by age 5 she told me she wasn't going to live that long.

The "80% cancer" is a misquote from a popular scientific study. The actual results were that 80% of the does developed uterine tumors (not necessarily cancerous).

Pam

I too had an interesting time trying to get my boys into a vet - certainly not as hard as you and as stressful! Doesn't seem like many of our local vets deal with Rabbits very often either, and the price difference's with each one was horrendous!!! Ranging from $87.50 right up to $225 for each bunny to be neuter'd!!! The one I have ended up with is the cheapest but sounds like they deal with rabbits the most aswell, and knew they could eat right up to coming in, I am doing an early drop off between 8-9am, and pickup after 4pm on the same day...

The prices here were relatively similar, 130$ and 125$. If I end up making an appointment I would be dropping her off between 8-9am as well, but would only be able to pick her up the following day...

It is hard to find a good rabbit vet when you don't live in a big city :(

nattyw wrote:
I too had an interesting time trying to get my boys into a vet - certainly not as hard as you and as stressful! Doesn't seem like many of our local vets deal with Rabbits very often either, and the price difference's with each one was horrendous!!! Ranging from $87.50 right up to $225 for each bunny to be neuter'd!!! The one I have ended up with is the cheapest but sounds like they deal with rabbits the most aswell, and knew they could eat right up to coming in, I am doing an early drop off between 8-9am, and pickup after 4pm on the same day...

Do you happen to know how many of the tumors turned out to be cancerous??

pamnock wrote:
pherber12 wrote:

The "80% cancer" is a misquote from a popular scientific study. The actual results were that 80% of the does developed uterine tumors (not necessarily cancerous).

Pam

Latest posts

Back