Statis Symptoms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Bunny Drake

Reaction score
Okay yesterday I had a panic attack. Drake didn’t poop from 11:00-4:00. I read online that when bunnies have gas they press there stomachs onto the ground to massage and can be quite restless and adjust their position a lot. Drake did a little bunny flop a lot and eventually he got up to eat and drink and flop back. I thought he was having statis. I started sobbing and begging my dad to take him to the vet. My dad called the vet and we were going to wait an hour. I called my local animal rescue and they said he should be fine if he’s eating and drinking correctly. My brothers friend said to give him a lot of fresh vegetables. Little after he pooped. How do I know if he is suffering from statis? I don’t want a false alarm like last time.

My bunny when he got GI stasis, his stomach had totally stop working (he had eaten slippers). He didn’t want to eat, he hid away from people and when he walked he would press his stomach to the floor.

So for me it was really easy to see he wasn’t acting normal. When I have an outgoing bunny that love food more than life.

We tested at home first if he would eat anything, from open the rice bucket to offering dandelion leafs. He refused, he’s one of the food craziest bunny you can find.

When it’s summer time (warm outside) my bunnies often flops more because of the heat. They will most of the day rest except when they go up for food, litter box or water.

So best it’s to wait and observe during the day, try to offer things they would never say no to, does the stomach feel normal, do it give out sounds, the bunny acting normal or it’s different in some way.

My bunnies between 12:00- 16:00 will be the most laziest bunnies during summer, they will often sleep.

As long as he is eating and drinking normally, he's likely just fine. I wouldn't think it was too unusual for a rabbit not to be pooping much right in the middle of the day when they are normally napping. If he wasn't pooping the entire day, then it could be something to be somewhat concerned about. But if he was still eating and drinking, then it's just something I would keep an eye on to make sure he started pooping by the next day.

When a rabbit isn't pooping, it's when they are also not eating and drinking or behaving normally, that there can be cause for concern. But usually that's after it's been like this for several hours.

I offer Bernard banana whenever I’m worried. He’s only refused it once and I took him straight to the vet. He had respiratory infection and was fine after antibiotics. Don’t worry as long as they are eating and behaving normally.

Is he shedding? Could be a hair ball. Treatment for a hair ball is to give some mineral oil with an oral syringe. It lubricates the intestines and makes the hairball pass. Mineral oil coats the intestines and nutrients can't be absorbed with the coating, so this is something you would not want to do often. It is something to do if all else fails.

With regards to the mineral oil, this is actually debated now. Although things like that and paraffin have been used in the past for blockages, evidence now shows that if there truly is a blockage the oil just slips right past it. If your bunny has trouble with hair blockages the best solution is to brush as much as possible to remove excess fur, and make sure he/she eats lots of hay to keep everything moving through.

Is he shedding? Could be a hair ball. Treatment for a hair ball is to give some mineral oil with an oral syringe. It lubricates the intestines and makes the hairball pass. Mineral oil coats the intestines and nutrients can't be absorbed with the coating, so this is something you would not want to do often. It is something to do if all else fails.
No he stopped shedding last month.

I also heard his teeth. I saw a video of a bunny grinding, and read you can hear it from across a room and chills go up your spine. I can hear it if I listen closely when I’m next to him, and he chatters. Almost like he’s cold (it’s seventy out here). Is this a problem? Should I be worried? Is this a symptom of statis? Besides that he’s eating, drinking, pooping regularly. He has been sleeping in a different position (he usually flops in the sun, may be because I tarped the cage for shade, and now he lies on his stomach with his feet on the ground eyes slightly closed)

As long he’s eating normal and pooping you have nothing to worry about.

You will just have to keep an eye on droppings. Sometimes when bunnies resting they will grind their teeth. Often with stomach pain they will lay like meatloaf and not floping on the side, it’s more pressing the stomach to the floor.

If your bunny moves normal, eating normal (takes treats), pooping normal. You have nothing to worry about, just be careful of the heat during summer time and just keep an eye on your bunny.

He can just be more relaxed with everything. My indoor bunny often lay around like this: IMG_4353.jpg

So his casual laying around was totally different from when his stomach stopped working. Even though most of the time he lay with the stomach press on the ground.

If the bunny stop eating you should take him to a veterinarian the same day.

If you are still worried about gas, just put your bunny on a strict hay diet a couple of days. Until the stomach becomes normal, it will always help.

Soft contented tooth chattering, usually while they are resting or getting head rubs, is normal and a sign of relaxation and happiness.

Latest posts

Back