starting to rabbit proof

Discussion in 'Housing and Environment' started by erikamc, Nov 6, 2017.

Help Support Rabbits Online by donating using the link above.
  1. Nov 6, 2017 #1

erikamc

erikamc

erikamc

Bunny goes in for her spay tomorrow (nervous mom!) and I will be taking the time to start to bunny proof her room (in anticipation of adding a second bunny). There will be much work to do and actual free run of the room will still be a ways off. A couple things I'm thinking of: the trim in the room is stained. I couldn't care less about it being chewed on, but if they chew on stained wood, would that be horribly bad? should I replace the trim with untreated wood? The lamp cord is covered with plastic guards. It takes her a while to get to the point I feel it should be replaced, but that is with supervised time (a couple hours) outside of the cage. Would a plastic guard last at least twelve hours for us to be able to catch it before they reach the dangerous parts? I have tried to find metal ones, but haven't been able to. I have also purchased child guards for the outlets (they cover the entire outlet and you can run a cord into them) has anyone used these? should I get something more substantial? Not sure if this next question should be elsewhere, but the second bunny is already decided on, unless someone adopts him first. What I have found online suggests taking the current bunny to meet the new bunny. Would this be safe? He isn't with other bunnys so is essentially quarantined. Also, should I have two cages set up, or would her being free range and him in a cage be sufficient?

2. Nov 6, 2017 #2

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Lots of various questions here...:) will try to take them each on....

baseboards.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    samoth and Nancy McClelland like this.
  3. Nov 6, 2017 #3

erikamc

erikamc

erikamc

good to know! It is not through a bunny rescue, it is through a dog/cat rescue group that I'm associated with. The posted a 6 month old male they recently got in, we had been talking about getting a second bunny to keep her company and I think he seems like a perfect type (same size, not far off in age and male). She has currently has supervised free range, an hour-or two in the morning and an hour or two before bed. not enough attention I know, one reason why we want to get her a friend. My biggest concern with her is, she's never really been around another bunny. Hand raised from 9 days old. I'm ok with pulling the trim off to replace with pine board. If I ever sold this house, the crap that is in there would go anyway. one reason why I wouldn't care if it got chewed to hell. PS, your bunny in the background looks like my bunny's twin.

4. Nov 6, 2017 #4

erikamc

erikamc

erikamc

oh my god, that link is awesome! far more informative than anything I have come across!! Thank you so much!

5. Nov 6, 2017 #5

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Blue eyes

Supporting Member

Happy to help!
    Trying to pre-guess how one rabbit will be with another is impossible. I don't think yours will be at any disadvantage with her history though. They are all soo very different. A single rabbit can instantly fall in love with one rabbit while absolutely hating another one. No one knows why they are ok with one and not another.

The pair in the photo is an example. Sapphire (the white one with gray markings) was part of a bonded pair when I got her. After her bondmate died, she totally rejected two other males before deciding she liked the one in photo. The first one she rejected was oh so sweet to her, even groomed her at the rescue, but she was a mean witch back to him.

The second male she rejected was actually the brother of the one she eventually accepted. She was a particularly choosy bunny!!

6. Nov 7, 2017 #6

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

Just wondering how old the house is--back in my day, there was lead in all the paint and everything was insulated with asbestos.

7. Nov 9, 2017 #7

erikamc

erikamc

erikamc

It is an older house, while it does have asbestos siding, there is no lead paint. not sure what it is insulated with in the walls though. If I had to guess, based on how poorly insulated it seems to be, I'd say nothing. I took the time while she was getting spayed to rip up the carpet, pull out all pointy bits, and lay down peel and stick carpet tiles. I still have to cut pieces for the edges of the floor, but as her activity is restricted for at least the next 10 days, I don't have to rush too much on that.

8. Nov 9, 2017 #8

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Nancy McClelland

Larry Supporting Member

The asbestos I was thinking of was used for flue piping and wrap around heaters and heat sources--both tiles and tape and almost mostly gone now.