Starting My Rabbit Breeding Journey!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillowRabbitry

Cadbury Pemberton Rabbitr
Reaction score
~A Story of my rabbits over the years - Some happy stories, some sad stories. Beware.. :)~
My first rabbit was a birthday surprise. On my 9th birthday I came into my room to find a cute little blue Holland Lop sitting in a cage, his big brown eyes staring at me.
My mom says that the rest of the summer I literally never let him down. She said that when school came around in September, I actually cried because I couldn't stand the thought of leaving Baxter all alone in my bedroom for 7 hours five days a week.
I had to make a list for my mom of how to take care of my rabbit, showing when to feed him, when to let him out, and when to pet him.
Fast forward two years and Baxter was still the best friend I could imagine. In the fall I would walk him on his leash and he would binky into the leaves that were piled up unto the sidewalk. On Easter I would plan a whole party for him. Unlike most pet store bunnies, Baxter had a good home.
In spring of 2011 I found a rabbit online from a breeder. Before we went to get him my Mom and I stopped in our local pet store to grab some Timothy Hay and a cage for my new rabbit. I always have to look at the pets and a black Mini Lop rabbit caught my eye. He certainly wasn't the cutest. He was bigger than all the others and he looked sad and sickly. He was sitting in a cage with another rabbit who we soon learned had a disease. The minute I took him out he seemed alive. It saddened me to think of the last time someone had held him or played with him. I had to get him. My mom said we will think about it and we continued our drive to go get my Holland Lop from the breeder.
I basically fell in love with him on the spot and he had a different story than the rabbit in the pet store. He was lively, and didn't take one step without binkying. We bought him and headed home.
The next week I couldn't stop thinking about the black rabbit at the pet store who looked so sad.
I finally convinced my mom to go look at him - I was so happy. When we got there we found that the rabbit with the disease had died. I was so sad and my mom knew that I wouldn't leave without my little bunny.
I brought him home, named him Jet, and instantly became best friends with my other new rabbit, Benny. Benny, Jet and Baxter were the best pals you could ever imagine. Honestly, without Benny, I don't know if Jet could've made it. He was so sick when he got home and sometimes went days without eating. Benny would lick his face and I think that's the only thing that got him through.
Soon Spring 2013 came along. I was almost fifteen years old, Baxter was almost six years old, and Benny and Jet were 3.
I had just come home from a Youth Retreat and I knew something was wrong the minute I walked in. The whole time I was away I felt like something wasn't right, and I had even called my mom to make sure my rabbits were okay - she didn't tell the truth.
When I got him, my parents told me that Baxter wasn't acting himself. They were on the way to the vet but my little Baxter died in my dads hands. I was heartbroken. He was my first rabbit, and my favorite.
Then a month later a vicious dog got under our fence and grabbed my Jet while he was playing. I watched the whole thing - and there was nothing I could do. It was absolutely horrible.
To heal the grieving process I bought another rabbit named Bramble (Bram). He was so sweet and I will never forget him. Benny loved him.
A year later I got a random call from a lady saying she had four rabbits and she couldn't take care of him. I told her I didn't have any space, but then she told me she was going to let them go if I didn't take them.
I felt responsible for the bunnies death if I said no, so I said yes - obviously going to re home them.
I picked them up and the place they were living in was absolutely awful. It hadn't been cleaned in months and poop was piling up everywhere.
They were skinny and poor fed and I wanted to cry and save every bunny that was in that condition.
They were all un spayed girls living in the same hutch - I can't imagine how bad they must've fought at times.
I quickly moved them into four different cages. Two of them quickly trusted me. One of which I knew was ready to go within weeks, I couldn't keep six rabbits forever. I found a great home for the one rabbit I felt was ready to go. I named the rest Brinley, Briar, and Bianca.
The person who bought the fourth rabbit named her Bruno.. yes it's a girl lol. I swear I didn't even plan the whole B thing.. but there I was with six rabbits all starting with B.
Bianca and Brinley were nightmares, especially Bianca. She would hiss at me, growl, and lunge. Part of it being because I am almost positive she's blind in one eye.
Briar on the other hand was the sweetest thing I had ever met.
My mom suggested I breed my rabbit Bram to Briar. I was impressed at her knowledge that you can't mix breeds but I chuckled at her and told her they were both not good enough quality and that they didn't have pedigrees. She obviously didn't understand, "A bunny is a bunny!" Lol... oh well.
I finally got Brinley to a nice enough state and I figured I needed to find her a home, even though I kind of fell in love with her.
I found her an awesome home and soon enough it was Bianca and Briar...
Well actually I'm up to the part where I am right now. I sold Bram because the idea of breeding rabbits stuck in my head when my mom suggested it. I didn't have enough space to keep a LionHead so I found a great home for Bram, even if it broke my heart to see him go. The lady still keeps my posted and she says Bram is the cutest thing ever.
I now have 5 bunnies - two of them I'm still looking for their perfect homes. But I am in no rush. I will never get rid of Benny... even if he's neutered and can't produce babies, he is like my child. He is the reason why all of my rabbits have survived coming from such horrible places - and he's the only one that has met every single one of my bunnies. I love him to death and couldn't ask for a better Best Friend. I have one doe Barlow, and one buck Byron. (my mom said I couldn't stop the B tradition.. even though it really never was one, lol) And i am hoping to get more Holland Lops. They are purebred and come out of Champion Lines. I have spent hours researching about how to breed rabbits but every second has been worth it.
I still have Briar and Bianca. I am waiting for the forever homes. In fact, I wasn't planning on this but if you are interested in an adorable rabbit for free private message me. Only to a GREAT home!
I have enjoyed every minute of my journey with rabbits and I can't wait to start on my new journey of showing... definitely a different perspective of what I've been used to, rescuing my poor babies.

Latest posts

Back