Starling is unhappy with Pidge...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samara

Reaction score
I've talked in my blog lately about Starling having rows with Pidge - grunting at her, lunging and pushing her over, that sort of thing.

Star will be 4 months old on August 10th - I just got off the phone with my vet scheduling her spay for this month, but my question is...is this usual for female rabbits that have been together since they were wee?

Star and Pidge aren't littermates, but they're from the same breeder and have been together since before they came home June 1st. Their breeder knew I was going to room them together so she got a jump on them getting familiar with each other.

Is this just typical hormones? I guess I hadn't thought females would go wonky on each other in the same way bucks do...

:?

What are the odds that it will stop after Star is spayed? Pidge weighs half of what she does and is getting rolled pretty badly. Should I separate her now? She isn't receiving open wounds, and is still eating and drinking normally, but she spends her time huddle away from Starling and Atticus because when she ventures closer she gets lunged at and rolled.

My poor Pidge. She went from being bonded to Star to becoming a roommate and third wheel.

What do you guys think I should do? I have the ability to separate her, but would that severe the remaining shreds of their bond? For now what I've been doing is just keeping Pidge with me for a majority of the day. She'll sit with me while I'm on the computer, or I'll tote her around when I do chores. I can't keep her out with me all day because she needs to eat/drink/potty.

:confused2:

My guess is that you'll be more likely to restore the bond after spaying if you separate them now, before there's a big fight.

Hormones can be crazy, so I've heard. It sounds like once rabbits are neutered, it's 10x easier to bond them. I wouldn't worry until after they're spayed. Good luck, I'm in the process of bonding mine and it's a little frustrating. But we'll get there, right? :)

As long as it's just frustrating & they're not trying to kill each other, they'll at least tolerate each other enough to be together.

They're tolerating for sure. Pidge wants to snuggle and groom, but Starling is acting like she's had her crayons stomped on and her apple juice knocked over.

Latest posts

Back