SS Mature Rabbit food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scatter

Reaction score
Hi - I was all set to change my two onto this food from the normal Adult version of SS, but have realised that the Mature have lower fibre levels. Does anybody feed them and think it matters or not. I thought I may as well keep them on the adult version.:confused:

Im sorry but what is SS food?

Maybe you can post the Protein, fiber, calcium and ingredient list of both foods or get us a link to the 2 formulas that lists this information and we can better help you out with that.
Info on the rabbits? Age? Breed? Spayed/Neutered? Pet or Show/Breeding?

Im sorry but what is SS food?

Maybe you can post the Protein, fiber, calcium and ingredient list of both foods or get us a link to the 2 formulas that lists this information and we can better help you out with that.
Info on the rabbits? Age? Breed? Spayed/Neutered? Pet or Show/Breeding?

Sorry - this is the nutritional value of the mature:

Selective 4+ is recommended by vets and provides a tasty balanced diet formulated to meet the special needs of mature rabbits.
This nutritionally complete food has high levels of fibre (22%), to aid gut motility and is also low in sugar and protein to help prevent obesity in less active, older rabbits.
It includes timothy hay and thyme to help stimulate the appetite, helping to avoid age-related reluctance to feed. Other antioxidant ingredients such as bilberry, ginkgo, and green tea provide complete nutritional support for the older rabbit.
But it is what we don’t put in to Selective that is important too…
Have you checked the label on your rabbits’ food lately? Take a look, because many rabbit foods contain molasses or syrup or other sugary ingredients. This extra sugar in a rabbit’s diet can lead to overeating and obesity. It can also lead to dental problems too.
Feeding Selective for the first time?
If you are feeding Selective to your rabbits for the first time, make sure you change from one food to another, gradually over 10-14 days. At first, you should mix a small amount of Selective with your rabbits’ current food, slowly decreasing the old diet, whilst gradually increasing the quantity of Selective. A sudden change in diet can cause digestive upsets – even when you are changing to a better quality diet – so take care!
If your rabbits are used to a sugary diet, you may find it takes them a while to change, but persevere as it will help to benefit your rabbits’ health in the long term.
And don’t forget fresh hay and water! Your rabbits should have an unlimited supply of both at all times.
76%* of vets stock Supreme Science Selective and it is also available from most good independent pet retailers. Find you nearest stockist here.
  • High Fibre – 22%
  • Zero Added Sugar
  • Prevents Selective Feeding
  • Rich in Natural Ingredients
  • Balanced diet
  • No artificial colours
  • Highly palatable with Timothy hay & herbs
  • 100% Vegetarian
  • Encourages dental wear
  • Promotes digestive health
  • Helps maintain healthy skin & coat
  • With natural antioxidants
COMPOSITION:
Lucerne meal (alfalfa), soybean hulls, Timothy hay (20%), wheat, wheatfeed, linseed, flaked peas, thyme (min. 1%), monocalcium phosphate, salt, calciumcarbonate, spinach, bilberry, milk thistle seeds, mayflower berries, green tea extract, grape seed extract, ginkgo extract.
NUTRITIONAL ADDITIVES/Kg:
Vitamin A 15000 IU, Vitamin C 500g, Vitamin D31500 IU
ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS:
Crude protein 12.0%, Crude fibre 22.0%, Crude oils and fats 4.0%, Crude ash 8.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Sodium 0.3%, Phosphorus 0.4%
Available in 350g and 1.5kg pack sizes.

I have two lionhead rabbits aged 4 - one male, one female - neutered and spayed.

This is the stuff they're on now: :)

Vets believe that high fibre is most important when recommending a rabbit food*. Wild rabbits mainly eat grass, which naturally contains 20-25% fibre and rabbits’ digestive systems have evolved to need a high fibre diet. Supreme has raised the levels of fibre in Science Selective to 25% so you can provide your rabbits with an even higher fibre, tasty diet that will help to keep them in the very best of health, naturally.
With forage as the main source of fibre, Selective contains lots of other tasty, natural ingredients too – linseed with Omega 3 & 6 that help to keep your rabbit’s skin and coat in tip top condition, as well as natural prebiotics to help promote friendly bacteria.
But it is what we don’t put in to Selective that is important too…
Have you checked the label on your rabbits’ food lately? Take a look, because many rabbit foods contain molasses or syrup or other sugary ingredients. This extra sugar in a rabbit’s diet can lead to overeating and obesity. It can also lead to dental problems too.
Feeding Selective for the first time?
If you are feeding Selective to your rabbits for the first time, make sure you change from one food to another, gradually over 10-14 days. At first, you should mix a small amount of Selective with your rabbits’ current food, slowly decreasing the old diet, whilst gradually increasing the quantity of Selective. A sudden change in diet can cause digestive upsets – even when you are changing to a better quality diet – so take care!
If your rabbits are used to a sugary diet, you may find it takes them a while to change, but persevere as it will help to benefit your rabbits’ health in the long term.
And don’t forget fresh hay and water! Your rabbits should have an unlimited supply of both at all times.
76%* of vets stock Supreme Science Selective and it is also available from most good independent pet retailers. Find you nearest stockist here.
Do you have mature rabbits that are aged four years plus? Have you considered that they may have specific nutritional requirements? Selective Rabbit 4-years+ offers a diet that is specifically tailored to support the nutritional needs of older rabbits and is blended with the finest quality Timothy Hay. It contains tasty herbs that are packed with natural antioxidants, to help maintain the appetite and to help keep your mature rabbits happy and healthy. Find out more about Selective 4-Years+ here.
Do you have young rabbits aged 4-20 weeks, or a pregnant/lactating doe? Have you thought about their special nutritional needs? Selective Rabbit Junior is specially formulated to support the nutritional needs of young rabbits and pregnant/lactating does. It contains extra protein to help support growth and development and has spinach, which is naturally high in lutein, alpha lipoic acid and conenzyme q10. In addition, Selective Rabbit Junior is fortified with a blend of amino acids, vitamins and herbs to provide a natural source of antioxidants, helping to give rabbits a great start in life. Find out more about Selective Rabbit Junior here.
COMPOSITION
Alfalfa meal, soybean hulls, wheat, wheatfeed, flaked peas, linseed, beet pulp, soybeanmeal, soya oil, monocalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate.
NUTRITIONAL ADDITIVES/Kg
Vitamin A 15000 IU, Vitamin D3 1500 IU
ANALYTICAL CONSTITUENTS
Crude protein 14.0%, Crude fibre 25.0%, Crude oils and fats 4.0%, Crude ash 8.0%, Calcium 0.6%, Sodium 0.3%, Phosphorus 0.4%.
Available in 350g, 1.5kg, 3kg, 5kg and 10kg pack sizes.

I think the general theory for adult pet bunnys is to keep the protein levels down and stay away from alfalfa.
Both those formulas have alfalfa listed as the first ingredient so I would personally stay away from both. And because of the alfalfa this is causing a higher calcium level in the food which can lead to bladder/Uninary stones/sludge problems. (breeding/show rabbits have different dietary needs so alfalfa based diets are often used for adults)
However the mature formula has a 12% protein level which is nice.
Are you offering your 2 loose hay?
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the fiber levels in a pellet diet as long as your limiting pellet intake and your bunnies are getting unlimited hay (timothy, orchard, oat, etc just not alfalfa) its still over 20% in both foods and again the pellets shouldn't be their only source of fiber/nutrition, more of a supplement to their hay/fresh veggies offered.

IMO I wouldn't select either food and wouldn't use a food for my adult bunnys that has any alfalfa in it (mainly after loosing a bunny to kidney issues due to high protein and calcium issues from an alfalfa based diet into adulthood) but if my only choice was between those 2 foods, I would definatly switch them onto the mature :)

I think the general theory for adult pet bunnys is to keep the protein levels down and stay away from alfalfa.
Both those formulas have alfalfa listed as the first ingredient so I would personally stay away from both. And because of the alfalfa this is causing a higher calcium level in the food which can lead to bladder/Uninary stones/sludge problems. (breeding/show rabbits have different dietary needs so alfalfa based diets are often used for adults)
However the mature formula has a 12% protein level which is nice.
Are you offering your 2 loose hay?
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the fiber levels in a pellet diet as long as your limiting pellet intake and your bunnies are getting unlimited hay (timothy, orchard, oat, etc just not alfalfa) its still over 20% in both foods and again the pellets shouldn't be their only source of fiber/nutrition, more of a supplement to their hay/fresh veggies offered.

IMO I wouldn't select either food and wouldn't use a food for my adult bunnys that has any alfalfa in it (mainly after loosing a bunny to kidney issues due to high protein and calcium issues from an alfalfa based diet into adulthood) but if my only choice was between those 2 foods, I would definatly switch them onto the mature :)

Thanks - yes, they do get unlimited timothy and meadow hay. Actually, I was a bit concerned about the alfalfa. I am now thinking that perhaps I should switch to Oxbow then, or something like that?!!

Oxbow adult would be a great food if you have it available over there. generally for adults timothy based i like to make sure theres no alfalfa in it at all. 12--14% protein is good. No fillers like corn and of coarse make sure its all pellet not those mixes with loose grains.

Oxbow adult would be a great food if you have it available over there. generally for adults timothy based i like to make sure theres no alfalfa in it at all. 12--14% protein is good. No fillers like corn and of coarse make sure its all pellet not those mixes with loose grains.

Yes, we have distributors over here - you can order it on the internet, so that seems the way to go :)

Latest posts

Back