Sq footage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meeganew

Reaction score
So my bun is free roam in my room usually. He has a cage/pen that he goes in while I sleep or when I work (like 8hrs a day 3 days a week so not a lot). So he’s free roam the majority of the time. Is 14 sq ft enough for his pen? Right now it’s a 36”x24” crate with a 48”x24” pen attached. I’m looking to get something that flows with my room better and I found an option that is about the same size (little bigger) but just wanted to make sure it’ll be okay for him as he grows. Hes currently 6 months old and a holland lop so hes not a big bunny.

So you have a 6 sq ft crate with 8 sq ft running area. That's a bit on the small side but "suggested space" opinions vary. If it was only for nighttime, my opinion would be that it is just fine. But given that they're also confined there for most of the day (half the week), then I'd try to make it larger. It can't really count as 14 sq ft because the space is broken up (crate is separate from open area). The litterbox and bowls also take up space. The "running" area then is really just the 8 sq ft. That's not much space to zoom or binky.

Being a small rabbit doesn't mean he needs less space. Smaller rabbits tend to be more energetic and so need the same space as a larger rabbit.

Take a look here for some of the size recommendations and then the photos that follow. If you could post your setup, we may be able to see a way to create more space with what you have.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2022-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.103444/

So you have a 6 sq ft crate with 8 sq ft running area. That's a bit on the small side but "suggested space" opinions vary. If it was only for nighttime, my opinion would be that it is just fine. But given that they're also confined there for most of the day (half the week), then I'd try to make it larger. It can't really count as 14 sq ft because the space is broken up (crate is separate from open area). The litterbox and bowls also take up space. The "running" area then is really just the 8 sq ft. That's not much space to zoom or binky.

Being a small rabbit doesn't mean he needs less space. Smaller rabbits tend to be more energetic and so need the same space as a larger rabbit.

Take a look here for some of the size recommendations and then the photos that follow. If you could post your setup, we may be able to see a way to create more space with what you have.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2022-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.103444/
I ended up figuring out a better option for the cage last night before even seeing your reply this morning. He now has 6 feet by 3 feet of space thats unobstructed (no crate now). I'm hoping this is okay. I'd also like to add, three days of work a week totals at 24 hours for me, so not technically half the week time wise. Also I'm very much a night owl so when I say I put him in his cage when I go to bed it's not until 1-2am usually. So even on a work day he still ends up having about 9 or so hours of free roam time. Also worth mentioning that my current job ends in late November and I will be home 99% of the time then so he will have 16+ hrs of free roam time daily then. So now he has a total of 18 sq feet, and I added the pic of the new setup.

Attachments

• 302831897_571075138134634_1958386805371747114_n.jpg
    302831897_571075138134634_1958386805371747114_n.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 0
I ended up figuring out a better option for the cage last night before even seeing your reply this morning. He now has 6 feet by 3 feet of space thats unobstructed (no crate now). I'm hoping this is okay. I'd also like to add, three days of work a week totals at 24 hours for me, so not technically half the week time wise. Also I'm very much a night owl so when I say I put him in his cage when I go to bed it's not until 1-2am usually. So even on a work day he still ends up having about 9 or so hours of free roam time. Also worth mentioning that my current job ends in late November and I will be home 99% of the time then so he will have 16+ hrs of free roam time daily then. So now he has a total of 18 sq feet, and I added the pic of the new setup.
You've gotten creative with your space. It's looking better! Another thought for consideration is that not all of the ex-pen needs to block the walls of your room. My making use of an existing room wall, an ex-pen can create an even larger space. By way of example, here is an ex-pen that provides 30 sq ft of space simply by not covering the back wall with part of the ex-pen.

Attachments

• sams x pen.jpg
    sams x pen.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back