Springtails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had problems with springtails around their rabbit? I've been seeing these tiny white jumping bugs in Bunster's xpen and other tiny bugs I'm afraid they are mites. For the jumping ones, I think they are springtails per Google, and I wonder if they're coming in through the hay or if Bunster has them but it seems from what I read that they don't have interest in people or pets.. but I've only ever seen them in the den that Bunster is in.. I haven't spotted any on him though and I have a pretty good eye. Also Bunster does itch his ear sometimes and I checked I didn't see anything. Is it normal for rabbits to itch sometimes or should I check for mites?

Also is diatomaceous earth safe to use around rabbits? This is our go-to for pest control.

Last edited:
It is normal for a rabbit to itch occasionally, much like we would, but if it is excessive then that would be a problem. Still, have a look inside his ear and see if you find evidence of mites or infection - reddening, crusty, smelly, etc. Bugs that aren’t parasites shouldn’t be a problem - could it be that his pen is somewhere overshadowed and damp? Springtails are usually found in the same sorts of places you would expect to find worms.
As for diatomaceous earth, I wouldn’t say it will be a problem - it isn’t toxic and only has effect by drying out insects.

I don't see anything inside his ear, but outside his ear he seems to have an area that doesn't have much fur. o_O But it could just be normal because his ears just started flopping so I don't know what they should look like.

Latest posts

Back