Sprained thigh?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiana

Reaction score
Hello rabbit lovers!

First, I'll tell you my story as a second time owner.

I had a very beautiful female rabbit as a birthday gift, she was super cute, we called her BonBon. She was a truly happy bunny. Until one day I woke up to see my baby with a broken leg.
Of course, we took her immediately to a vet, and he made a cast for her, by the way, there are a few to NO expert vets in my town. They can be counted on fingers, and they only care about cats.

30 minutes later after the cast, we noticed blood dripping through her fur.
We panicked and had to remove the cast, she was so in pain. What really made my blood boil, is that the vet said "It doesn't need a cast, it will get better on its own" AND he made her bleed? !!!

To another vet, a Human one, gave her a big cast, and a midicine. We're all comfortable with. On the 14th day of the cast, she seemed kind of used to the cast.
Tomorrow came, and we were all excited to see her with No cast again, when her heart suddenly stopped beating. All my attempts of CPR were unfortunately unsuccessful. We all cried that day in the car when my father was out to bury her. My mom got seriously depressed, when we bought another BonBon but a smaller one to relief my mom.

3 weeks later, this new bunny I named Tiana had to jump from a 2 meters high stack, and it was too late for me to catch her. She fell on the ground and walked normally to her cage, when I noticed she was holding her leg to her body not wanting it to touch the ground.

Her I am, reviewing a truama. Sooner Today, I took a look at Tiana's leg and deduced that it's a sprain, but I'm Not 100% sure.

Finally, any tips for this poor bunny?! She's putting some weight on it, but not all the time, and because of the pandemic, I can't go to the city that's right next to my town which has Better vets and caring methods

Thank you all for your time..
🕊❤

Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry about your first rabbit.

Before you can be sure that it’s either a sprain or a break or even a fracture, I would limit her space. If it’s either one of those thing, she will be in a lot of pain in her leg.
What was she on to fall? 2 meters is quite high.
I would call the vet in the city near your town and see what their advice is. Sicknesses and injuries in rabbits can get quite serious, very quickly.
There is an option of wrapping it in vetwrap but I wouldn’t do that if you aren’t confident.
An easy simple set up would be one like this (see picture). On the ground, with not a lot of space to hop around incase she injured herself further.
She should still be eating constantly even though she’ll be in a lot of pain.

some helpful links:
https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/broken-or-sprained-legae/https://www.thesprucepets.com/limping-in-pet-rabbits-4126807

Attachments

• 6463D713-52FA-4B58-B756-4213FF3EF061.jpeg
    6463D713-52FA-4B58-B756-4213FF3EF061.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry about your first rabbit.

Before you can be sure that it’s either a sprain or a break or even a fracture, I would limit her space. If it’s either one of those thing, she will be in a lot of pain in her leg.
What was she on to fall? 2 meters is quite high.
I would call the vet in the city near your town and see what their advice is. Sicknesses and injuries in rabbits can get quite serious, very quickly.
There is an option of wrapping it in vetwrap but I wouldn’t do that if you aren’t confident.
An easy simple set up would be one like this (see picture). On the ground, with not a lot of space to hop around incase she injured herself further.
She should still be eating constantly even though she’ll be in a lot of pain.

some helpful links:
https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/broken-or-sprained-legae/https://www.thesprucepets.com/limping-in-pet-rabbits-4126807
Thank you so much for caring!! I'll take a deeper look through the links you found and I'll inform you how it went!!

However, she fell from a stack of soft fabrics, and it made Tiana slid while 1.5m away from the ground. I think she flopped through the air, I don't know, I can't recall the incident.

Sorry if my grammar is bad🙃.

Okay, definitely let me know how it goes! Your grammar is just fine. Perfectly legible.
Good luck and I hope she gets better

Hello, again!

Sorry if you're bothered by this.

So Tiana has been Really great in the past few days, she moves her leg slowly and depends on the toes when moving, and it was reassuring. Everyday we put ice on the injured leg (left) to minimize the pain.

So we tried to contact 3 vets since this conversation started, and no one answered. The rest in that city are rated bad on google maps by other people, and I won't waste my time.

And there's something weird about her thigh, it looks inflated, but it gets less inflated each now and then.

And I also noticed that the injured leg is now shorter, and it's not supposed to be because her leg is paralyzed and wobbly. It's supposed to be loose.

What do you think about this? Is her thigh broken or sprained? I can't tell since the symptoms are so similar..

Thanks for your time!!
Tiana loves you.
🕊️❤️

It sounds more like it’s broken which is quite serious. I’m not sure where you live but in the UK all vets are open to emergency appointments. I’d try to get her one.

Thank you again❤️
A moment ago she was walking on it, and the inflated part of her leg is now 52% better than yesterday.

Tomorrow we're going to take her to a vet my friend ensured going to her.

Thank you so much for staying with us all the time. Tiana and me, will never forget your favour.

Hope Apollo's doing great!!
Tiana
🕊️❤️

It’s great that it’s getting better. And that you can get her to a vet tomorrow! Apollo is doing absolutely fantastic. Good luck! Feel free to use the forum when you have questions or need help! We’re all happy to help you! 🥰

Latest posts

Back