Sprained paw??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DA280ko

Reaction score
Okay so I have a female 2 month old bunny, Luna, yesterday morning (Friday, 6th) she got her paw stuck in her cage and I don’t know if she sprained it or broke it, my mom is telling me that she sprained it but I want other’s opinions because I’m really worried about her, She’ll still walk around but she has her hind leg lifted, only her toes will touch ground, she’s on cage arrest right now, I know everyone is gonna say that I need to take her to the vet but I can’t afford it and my mom says the vet won’t do anything for the sprain, she’s still eating fine, she has had half of her regular helping of pellet food and a banana, I just want to be sure, it’s only been a good two days so far, I’ve had a rabbit before in which he fell and he also sprained his front paw, it healed within two or more weeks, I’m hoping it’s gonna be the same with Luna, I feel awful that I can’t take her to a vet, with the still eating but lifting leg when walking, is it a sprain? I have spent all day searching answers and reading threads but I’m not too sure, I’ve felt the paw and compared it to the other and it didn’t feel like any bones were out of place.(I’ve also came back to this post three times, being scared to post it.)

Hi, do you think you could show what her hind leg looks like ?

Ps. Don’t be scared, everyone on this forum joined to ask questions, so feel free to ask questions. 👍🏻

Last edited:
I have a couple helpful tips for you, 🙃
1) Invest in a Cat Sized Litter Box, it will save you money as you only have to put the bedding in that one spot instead of the entire cage, plus it makes it easier for you to clean.

2) I highly recommend getting wood stove pellets they are much cheaper & do a great job at odor control.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/wood-fuel-pellets-40-lb
This bag lasts about a year changing once a week ($5.00)

3) X-pens are great at giving your bun space to run and binky
(+40 inches tall is ideal any less and Luna will likely jump over)

Bunny Binky & Zoomie:

X-pen:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/midwest-black-e-coat-exercise-pens

Last edited:

Ps. Don’t be scared, everyone on this forum joined to ask questions, so feel free to ask questions. 👍🏻

Attachments

• 1B150ACF-D5C4-4CC1-9402-87213A6AE4EE.jpeg
    1B150ACF-D5C4-4CC1-9402-87213A6AE4EE.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 9

Ps. Don’t be scared, everyone on this forum joined to ask questions, so feel free to ask
-I had to take her out of her cage to take this picture, I’m really hoping she’s gonna be fine, I really hate that I can’t do much for her, if I think back to when my other rabbit sprained his front paw, he walked almost the same, but because it’s Luna’s hind leg it looks different. I have a video of her walking but you can’t send them here.-

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m still trying to figure out how this website works, I responded within the blue on top, I put a line through to separate.

Could you upload the video on Youtube so that you can share it here?

Your rabbit is probably in pain so I highly recommend getting some Metacam for the pain. Pain in rabbits can cause Gi-Stasis and you do not want your rabbit to go into stasis right now.

Yeah, that does look sprained or fractured. You really need to get an x-ray of it. If you do not have the money for an appointment, call your vet and ask if they will let you pay off the bill over a set amount of time. Vets understand that appointments can be expensive and will sometimes let you pay a certain amount every week or month until the bill has been paid off.
Medirabbit (keep in mind, this site has pictures of surgeries).

Thanks for the help, I looked online and it doesn’t really say where I can get metacam, I’ll look in individual stores, but do you know anywhere it can be found? I will ask my mom about the vet, it’s just hard because I still have to depend on her for money and things like that, it’d be a lot easier if I had a job, which I’m working on but yeah, again thanks for the help :) otherwise my mom would keep telling me it’s a sprain, but when Luna is walking the way she is, I don’t know, like I said in a previous thing above, my other rabbit walked the same almost but front paw and it did heal, sorry for the long paragraph I tend to over-worry and ramble a little.

You can get Metacam from Chewy.com, but you will need approval from a vet. Chewy will contact your vet for you to get approval if you let them know what vet you go to.

I totally understand about the money issue! I'm only 14 and have to pay for everything for my rabbit. When Theo got stasis I spent so much at the vet and it took me forever to pay my mom back. Since then I have gotten some small jobs (cleaning and babysitting) to keep a couple of hundred dollars for vet visits.

Thank you! I’m probably gonna see how she is in a couple days, she’s generally relaxing and still eating a lot and wanting affection, my dad tells me that could be a sign that it’s only a sprain, which I know I posted this to see if it could be something else which I know it could still be, but he says I’m over analyzing this, as to how my other rabbit he says it’s the same ordeal just different area, I’m probably gonna just delete this because I think I should of just not posted this, I’m still gonna search stuff about this just knowing myself I’m overthinking like usual, -Joys of social anxiety- thanks for the help.

Cosy had a similar issue but was walking almost normally. He jumped off my shoulder and caught his toe in the path - less of a serious issue though because the toe could have just been removed. We left it as it is and now he just has a wonky toe.
However your rabbit does look in pain and i would advise getting a vet appt anyway - you can always say no to treatment etc but at least they can just have a look at a lower cost.

I’m gonna see how she is on Friday, she is eating everything I’m giving her and I’m told if she was in pain she’d be not eating, she is also using her paw to scratch although she still won’t walk on it. Thanks btw:)

To add basically she’s acting the same as she was before the injury just lifting paw when walking, I momentarily forgot to type it within the other paragraph.

Update: she is still acting the same before the injury, still not using her foot, I have noticed that one of her nails are bent, idk what that could mean, she seems to also favour it, I think it may be fractured or something, could that be why she’s not using it?

Latest posts

Back