Sprain or pulled a muscle??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megilreath

Reaction score
So I have a older bun, he will be turning 8 this year.

We recently moved into a new house and he has a whole carpeted room to himself with access to his cage. Two nights ago he got spooked and was tearing around his room. During this he ripped out two nails and broke another one. All on his back feet. I felt so awful and of course there was blood everywhere. I quickly got the blood to stop then cleaned up his feet with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. I've been monitoring his feet everyday since and they've stayed clean and no signs of infection have been noticed.

My concern is he is favoring both of his back legs, more one than the other. He will put weight on them and will hop around occasionally. I can move them and stretch them without him flinching or pulling back in pain but he isnt moving around alot nor does he want to hop more than twice. He is still eating and drinking and using the bathroom. My vet is closed due to the pandemic. The closest one open is hours away.
I feel awful...he is my first furbaby and I feel like it's my fault. I hate to travel with him because he gets super stressed out and with his age i try to minimize that if at all possible so a vet is life or death emergency.

Does this sound like a fracture or dislocation or just sore from the nails being ripped out?

It sounds like he pulled something. If you can move his legs around and he isnt flipping out or seem to be in extreme pain it is probably pulled or just really sore. My rabbit did something similar to this and she favored her one back leg and in about a week she seemed to have feeling better. Just make sure you keep an eye on it. Hope he gets better!!!!

I would put a heating pad under a towel because heat always helps sore muscles. I would take it slowly and not push him to run around. Maybe this link will help: Sports Injuries.

Latest posts

Back