Splayed Legs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskerz

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about splayed legs?

Someone commented on my cage having tile flooring and said it can cause splayed legs..

What iI have read, splayed legs is genetic. But can it be caused by my cage flooring?

:?

Yes, splay legs can be caused by flooring. I've seen baby rabbits raised in the smooth plastic pet-shop cages who can't get enough traction and their legs don't develop properly.

(They don't feel very safe in those cages, either).

It can also be genetic or a combination of those factors.

sas :bunnydance:

Problem solved. I went and got like these hard rubber thin traction mats to put in the cages for floor :)

Like most things, variety is key. A bunny kept only on slippery surfaces can get splay legs, a bunny kept only on wire can get sore hocks, a bunny kept only on carpet can get sore hocks, a bunny kept only on rubber can eat tons of rubber and get a bowel obstruction! Many cases of splay have a genetic component as well. It's just good for bunnies to have different surfaces so they develop muscles and bone properly.

I think I have the problem solved.
I have rubber ribbed mats that I put in the cage on all the floors. I put them in just the middle of each floor so they have a variety of rubber traction mats, grass mats, and smooth tile flooring.

They are not chewing on the mats anymore which is GREAT.

Here is a link, there are 2 pic on it: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=60434&forum_id=93

Latest posts

Back