Spinning wool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollie

Reaction score
Does anyone here know how or know someone whocan spin wool? I'd really like to get some made from all the fluff Ikeep collecting from Bracken and Heather, but haven't been able totrack down anyone on the island who can do it.

I know I probably need a lot more than the amount I've got collectednow (I've never thrown any of it away!), but it'd be nice to findsomeone who can do something with it, otherwise there's not much pointin my keeping it :)

Do your rabbits actually have long wool, or isit short, normal coat? It would be costly, but I'm sure youcan send it to someone here in the states who would mix it withadditional wool and spin something for you.

I have a pair of mittens spun from pure Satin Angora wool. Afriend of mine had a number of items spun from her Angorawool. You can find angora breeders on the web who also spin.

Pam

Heather and Bracken both have longer coats thana normal rabbit, but, as I discovered when I was looking into howpeople spin their angora's wool, not as long as, say, an English Angora- their hair is probably too short, being only about 2 inches or so.

I'm going to research a bit more!

You could spin hair of that length, you wouldjust need to add some wool to it, say 25/75 wool/rabbit. The wool wouldhold it together nicely, but the rabbit hair would be the maincomponent, i.e. the part you see, with a few stripes of whatever coloryour wool happens to be.

I spin.

Depending on the length of the hairs it could be really hard todo. Like Greta said, you might be able to mix it withwool. Angora is usually used forspinning. And the fur is very fluffy and the fibers arelong. It is really difficult to spin anythingshort. Also, the short guard hairs make the fiber scratchy.

Sometimes when I pick Gretchen's fluff off ofthe ground Iwish I had gotten an angora. I could be turned it intoyarn...oh well. I don't even try with Gretchen's fur...thereis no way.

Another option is too mix the fur with fiberfill and stuff a pillow with it. My son, Matthew, did thatwith his Angora's wool and made a cute Spiderman pillow.

Pam

Latest posts

Back