Spine has become protruding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavendertealatte

Reaction score
I'm not sure when exactly this started. Last week Bunster managed to jump out of his 3ft or so pen a few times. We don't know how he escaped, since the pen has a top, we thought it's possible he slipped through the cracks since the top is not completely sealed. There was a box near the front of the pen which we put somewhere else in case he was using that to launch himself off. Since then there haven't been any escapes. Did not notice any change in his movement then though.

Lately this past week I've noticed his spine seems to protrude, feeling like a something that reminds me of a tricerotops dinosaur, and he seems to be moving slowly, hopping slowly and gingerly, and not have as much strength in his legs. I initially thought the protrusion of the spine was because he was losing weight since we were trying to get him to eat mostly just hay because of his cecotrope smearing problems. Those have persisted. But my husband also noticed today something is off. He used to always jump up when we would feed him in the mornings but he doesn't do that anymore. He's still able to hop around but there seems to be some kind of weakness in the back legs, like he is not pushing off with them. My husband said he seems to be hobbling. He is still eating, not grinding his teeth in pain, but also much less active than before and seems to want to be petted more.
I wish to take him to the vet but there are no exotic vets here that I trust. Does anyone have any idea what may be happening? I'm also afraid if I take him to the vet there will be no treatment available anyhow.

Last edited:
Just confirmed he cannot hop.. he hobbled into his litter box. which is about 3 inches high. :( :( :(

I have before, the one they recommend is 2 hours away from me. Not sure if I should give the exotic vets here a chance. There is one who does spays/neuters and says she has done many rabbits but didn't know what orchard grass hay was. The other vet place that I have not been to yet which sees exotics also doesn't differentiate between alfalfa hay and other types of hay. Poor guy can't periscope and is all soiled on his bottom. Still munching happily on romaine though.

Made an appointment for tomorrow. Tried to clean his bottom and feet with a wet paper towel but didn't get much. :/

Thank you. His poops are smaller and less today. Not sure if he ate much last night he was just sitting in a loaf this morning when I found him which is unusual. Thankfully he perked up to oat hay and pellets. He's peeing on the floor and probably has a messy bum. Vet scheduled today, hope they can help. :(

At the vet now. Not what I expected. She thinks he is malnourished.
He’s really skinny about 1lb and he’s dehydrated today. I gave him critica care this morning cause I saw his poops were getting small and less. She wants to do bloodwork and a water injection and maybe b12. I asked about xrays as well but she feels bloodwork is more crucial. I’m shocked because the movement issues were only these past days so it doesn’t make sense to me but we are going to see what the vet finds.

After coming home from the vet he seems to be doing worse. He's not eating even his favorite treats. I force fed him critical care with a syringe which was difficult.. most of it did not go down. :(

So his bloodwork came back. All very bad. Low on everything, RBC, WBC, creatnine, except high on liver enzymes. I asked another vet whom my friend highly respects in another city. He said it could be liver lobe torsion. I looked it up.. the symptoms... it's pretty rare but it sounds right.. symptoms of anorexia, anemia, lethargy. The treatment proposed in the article is surgery which has risks of its own.. or I can try to medically manage it and hope the liver doesn't break and scars over on its own. It seems it is almost exclusively diagnosed in Boston, where they did a study.

We are trying to medically manage but after the iron injection and B12 injection today.. I gave him pain meds.. Metacam.. which I believe gave him diarrhea later. Been feeding critical care every 3 hours. .. and also gave him prescribed antibiotic, probiotic, and DMG... and he just doesn't seem to want to live anymore. So hard to believe because just this morning he was looking a lot better and taking the syringe from me very well....

This is heartbreaking to hear. I'm so sorry. You will have to keep us updated on how he's doing. I can't imagine how you're feeling now.

I just read all your posts and my heart is breaking. I pray your bun feels better. It seems so unbelievable how many different things that can be wrong with these little creatures. I really hope that he gets healthy! Best of luck.

Thank you for the support everyone. I'm fairly sure he won't make it. Overnight he's gotten worse than what I thought he could get. Barely swallowing anything and no strength to lift up his head anymore. Just limp. His eyes are barely open and he's still breathing. He's not grinding his teeth so I don't know if he is in pain or not. If he's still here this afternoon I'll do a second round of his meds but I feel like he's over it. I told him it's okay if he wants to go... It's possible his liver already ruptured. Sorry if this sounds so morbid. We are saying our goodbyes and preparing for his departure. I've gone through all the what ifs and questioning if I did the right things and crying with my husband because it's just so hard to see him this way when just a few days ago he was himself. He's played a huge role in my life this past year which was extremely difficult for me health-wise so for that I am grateful.

It makes me so sad to read this thread. Your rabbit is heartbreakingly beautiful, I can't stop myself staring at his picture. I so hope a miracle will happen, he will make it and you will have many more years with him. If that is not possible, then I just hope he can go without pain. I am sure he feels loved and cared for by his people even now.

I'm so sorry it's such bad news and he's not doing well. I hope at least his final time with you can be peaceful for you both.

He passed knowing how much you loved him. Rest in peace, Bunster

Latest posts

Back