Spine deformity?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it a spinal deformity?

• Total voters

Croxrox182

Reaction score
Hi guys. Here is my bunny, Clyde. It is 5 years old. It seems like its spine might be deformed but i am not so sure about it. Thoughts? Might she be in pain? received_2400196293586681.jpeg received_886533098405806.jpeg

I can't see her front legs in the photos, is there an issue there? Does she have problems hopping, or are there any deformities of the front or back legs?

Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-51-37.png her front paw is a little crooked

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-51-37.png
    Screenshot_2019-03-18-14-51-37.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 10
It's possible it's a curvature of the spine, or it could be something like underdeveloped or deformed hindquarters causing her to shift her rear leg position to compensate and causing the back to seem abnormally curved, or it could be because of the front limb deformity that she is shifting her weight abnormally with the hind limbs tucked under her more causing the spine to look more curved. With having a slightly deformed front paw, it wouldn't be too surprising to also have issues with the rear legs or the spine. But the best way to know would be having xrays done by an experienced rabbit vet.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Bone_diseases/O-X_limbs/X_limbs_en.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/Radiography/Spine/Spine_def.htm (WARNING: contains necropsy photos)
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If she exhibits any reluctance to hop and run around, any difficulties grooming, has urine staining from not being able to assume the proper posture to urinate, has mushy cecals stuck to her bottom, and/or has a reduced appetite, then it's likely she could be experiencing some pain and could benefit from daily pain medication like meloxicam. If she has no problems hopping, running around, grooming, peeing, pooping, and her appetite is good, I wouldn't think it's causing any significant discomfort. If there's any concern or suspicion she is experiencing pain, or if I wasn't sure, I would take her to be seen by a rabbit vet.

How long have you had Clyde and has she always been like this??

I agree getting X-rays are going to be the best thing for your bunny especially if there she is having any issues moving around

She used to have some problems with grooming herself and had had problems with the "poopy butt" thing but since ive changed her diet a little bit she doesn t have that. She hops around just fine. She was overweight and in the last months since ive changed her diet she lost some of that extra weight and maybe thats why its visible now. She doesnt have the same problems now. But is there anything that could cause the deformity? I am living in a small town so i cant go do an xray. She is very bad with traveling also. I also want to add that compared to some other bunnies ive seen i thing her hind paws are smaller and skinnier

A spinal deformity would be something that she was born with. About all that can be done for it is treating any pain that it could be causing with the appropriate pain medication. But if your bun is active and hops without any problems, it's likely she isn't experiencing any significant pain to cause issues. As long as she seems happy, eats well, and doesn't have any issues hopping around, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back