speying, help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flibble

Reaction score
my netherland dwarf Jazz was speyed today. It's now half past one in the morning and she's not eating or drinking yet. i'm so worried. The vet opens at 9. not sure if I should be calling their emergency number.

First....was she given pain meds to take home? If not, call your vet and insist on pain meds. Metacam is better than nothing but is totally insufficient in the big picture. Buprenex or Tramadol are excellent choices. Many vets will tell you they give a one time injection and that is all they need....ridiculous. I dose pain meds for at least 3 days post op. And if your rabbit was healthy enough for a spay...she can go a couple of days without food or much water. Not exactly something you like to see....but I have had rabbits not eat for a week and came thru. You would probably do more harm in the form of stress by force feeding than any possible benefit over the short term of the next 12-24 hours.

Randy

If you have ibuprofen or aspirin on hand and didn't get any pain meds from the vet, definitely give her some. This will help you get the right dose:
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

If that doesn't help at least a little, take her to the vet in the morning.

You can also offer her a heat source, like a rice sock or hot water bottle or heating pad. Gas medicine (dosed via above site) can also help post-op. Syringing her water will also help stimulate the gut to move. I think pain meds would be the first choice now and gas meds second. Our Benjamin had to be coaxed back into eating after his neuter and required some gas meds in addition to his pain meds.

thanks for the tips guys.
We took Jazz to the vet for them opening this morning. She got some injections for pain and to keep the gut moving and we've got some baytril home with us to give her, just to make sure there's no wound infection.
The vet checked her over and said everything seemed normal, but we got some science recovery to take home for her as well.
She started eating about an hour ago - not much but anything on her own is a good sign!

You might also try offering her a second water source with a little apple juice mixed in it to encourage her to drink more.

Latest posts

Back