Spaying

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransworld

Reaction score
Whinny and Weezy were originally scheduled for their spayings last Friday but we ended up having to cancel and reschedule. They were rescheduled for today. I dropped them off about 6 hours ago.

I just heard from the vet and they are out of surgery and are waking up. I have to call back in about 2 hours to see if they are eating on their own and to then go pick them up.

Ooh. I really hope they come round and recover well :)

I'm sure it's all arranged anyway, but remember to get pain meds for them. That's VITALLY important :) (nag over :p).

Let us know when you hear more about how they are doing.

sounds pretty straight forward,/glad there were no complications./.i have often wondered though//because it is a surgery requireing anathesia,and muliple things could go wrong--what do people do during this period of time,???,.me i am a nervous wreck,i don,t leave,./.just curious-sincerely james waller

Well when i called the vet back they said Whinny started to eat right away but Weezy hadn't eat yet. But they said for me to go ahead and come in to get them and they would show me how to make the slurry and to force feed. By the time i got there Weezy had started to eat some.

So they sent us home with some critical care, and some pain meds and the girls are set up in their temporary cages side by side and seem to be doing well....

When I care for the shelter bunnies after spays and neuters the girls always have a rougher time.Hydration and adequate pain medsare way more important than food the first day or so. I always keep pedialyte on hand to syringe the girls after they get home. Don't worry about syringing food now ; will only be a stressor
I usually keep each rabbit in a large cage or xpen and do not allow running about or jumping for at least 7-10 days

the first food I offer is uually fresh wet parlsey and a few will eat the first day.
Sometimes there will not be poops for awhile .

I have found a pattern with girls
usually I am getting 'freaky" because they are not eating and pooping enough by the 2nd night and the 3rd day they seem to come out of it and I always realize i was stressed out for nothing. :)
it is the same clinic that does all the surgery so this is just my personal story from this particular clinic.
Different anesthesia and surgical techniques could have different effects on different rabbits
keep us updated.

How are they doing this morning? How are you?

I am doing good and they both seem to be doing well this morning as well... Whinny is defintely eating. And Weezy is definitely drinking fluids. But i can't say for sure if she is eating. I tried the slurry and she licked some of it up but not very much. I am getting ready to try the slurry again.

Ok, just remember the stress of being syringe fed after being handled so much for the spay may be counter-productive. It's best to let her lap the slurry out of a bowl if she'll take it.

Whinny is definitely doing well, she is eating and drinking, pooping and peeing like crazy. Her stitches look good and she just seems good.

Weezy must be eating and drinking because she is pooping and peeing like crazy. But i can't tell what she is eating. Nothing looks touched in her cage. But she is pooping a lot. And they are big squishy poos. Her stitches look good too.

That's worrying... Maybe she's having gut issues? This could be expected because of the anaesthetics...
I'll leave it to the mods to advice properly on this.

Her gut could be upset from being under anesthesia, and from some of the pain meds they typically give. They can slow the gut down. She should recover fine. As long as she keeps pooping, don't worry much about it. You could give some Bene-Bac to give her gut flora a boost back to normal, if you like.

Just wanted to give an update. The girls are doing wonderful. They are healing well and are finally not too mad at me anymore.

One question, do you think it is safe to put them back into the same cage again? I think they miss each other.

Woo hoo! Yeah, it's fine to put them back together. Make sure you supervise them for a bit when you first reintroduce them in case their relationship has changed. It sounds like they'll still be good buddies, though.

Latest posts

Back