Spaying recovery

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alyshia

Reaction score
Hey guys, my rabbit is nearing 2yo and I’m planning on getting her spayed. I never thought about spaying because she’s never around other rabbits but I just learned about the high risk of cancer for unspayed rabbits so I’ve reluctantly decided to spay her (the thought of her having to go under the scalpel is so scary!) I’m just trying to plan when to make the appointment so I’m wondering how long I should expect recovery to take? And how much care is she going to need while recovering, like will she need someone with her all the the time?

It can definitely be nerve-wracking, and I think every owner, whether they were planning to spay/neuter from the beginning or decide later on, gets nervous about it. It is a great choice, especially because of the cancer risk.

I think the best thing you can do for your rabbit is making sure the vet you chose is experienced with spaying. Some vets are rabbit-savvy, but are not good at spaying, so it's important to have an explicit conversation about how often your vet spays and if it's a procedure he/she feels comfortable doing. If you get a good vet, they will inform you about good post-op instructions, like limiting free roam/jump space, keeping the floor clear of irritants (ie large hay bits on the floor that might poke the site), as well as giving pain medication.

It can definitely be nerve-wracking, and I think every owner, whether they were planning to spay/neuter from the beginning or decide later on, gets nervous about it. It is a great choice, especially because of the cancer risk.

I think the best thing you can do for your rabbit is making sure the vet you chose is experienced with spaying. Some vets are rabbit-savvy, but are not good at spaying, so it's important to have an explicit conversation about how often your vet spays and if it's a procedure he/she feels comfortable doing. If you get a good vet, they will inform you about good post-op instructions, like limiting free roam/jump space, keeping the floor clear of irritants (ie large hay bits on the floor that might poke the site), as well as giving pain medication.
Thank you it’s good to know I’m not alone in this fear! My local animal hospital has three vets who have all spayed rabbits before so I think she’ll be in good hands. Hopefully they’ll be able to calm my nerves when I meet with them

My girl will be spayed in October and I'm worried about her too. I read that we should disinfect their cages and provide a low sided (and frequently cleaned) litter box to make it easier for her to get in and out of the box. I've already purchased several fleece sheets and blankets so that I can give her a clean bed and cage floor several times a day. And of course limit activity, as John Wick said. Your vet should have plenty of advice, don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.

My girl will be spayed in October and I'm worried about her too. I read that we should disinfect their cages and provide a low sided (and frequently cleaned) litter box to make it easier for her to get in and out of the box. I've already purchased several fleece sheets and blankets so that I can give her a clean bed and cage floor several times a day. And of course limit activity, as John Wick said. Your vet should have plenty of advice, don't hesitate to ask lots of questions.
I never thought of the cleanliness issue that’s very good to know! I’ll have to move her pen around too because right now her food is up on a ledge. Never thought of these things! Thank you!

A few things I would suggest. Find the absolute best rabbit vet possible even if it costs more. And get blood work done beforehand to make sure there isn't an underlying health problem. Though considered rabbit savvy, not all vets on this list are equally as good, so make sure to do some research to find the best one.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

Do you know how long will female rabbit heal after spay surgery? And how long will she go back to normal and cuddly after spay surgery?

My bunny was spayed 12 days ago and she is still sulking and upset, so she will not ask for hugs/cuddles yet. Is this normal? What is your experience?

My bunny started acting more like herself after a week but it took about two weeks before I considered her to be totally back to normal. It definitely depends on the bunny, healing is a really tiresome process so I don’t think it’s too concerning that she isn’t herself yet but make sure she is eating and drinking well and pooping/peeing normally, have you checked the incision? The biggest thing I’d be concerned about is infection so just keep an out for that (make sure she’s eating/drinking well, make sure the incision site is getting less red and not more, and try to check her temperature if you can) my bunny didn’t eat her normal amount until at least 2 weeks after but as long as she’s still showing signs of improvement I think she’ll be fine *I’m not an expert though!*

I had two of my females spayed at the same time and they recovered very differently. I was very worried about the 4 year old because she was older and was bred over and over then they were done with her and that’s when I got her but she ended up recovering faster than the 6 month old. She was back to herself (personality wise) in about three days. The 6 month old took about a week. 12 days seems like a long time but all rabbits are different and I was told some rabbits just have a harder time dealing with the hormone changes than others. As long as she’s eating and pooping normally I wouldn’t worry about it and just wait it out.

My bunny started acting more like herself after a week but it took about two weeks before I considered her to be totally back to normal. It definitely depends on the bunny, healing is a really tiresome process so I don’t think it’s too concerning that she isn’t herself yet but make sure she is eating and drinking well and pooping/peeing normally, have you checked the incision? The biggest thing I’d be concerned about is infection so just keep an out for that (make sure she’s eating/drinking well, make sure the incision site is getting less red and not more, and try to check her temperature if you can) my bunny didn’t eat her normal amount until at least 2 weeks after but as long as she’s still showing signs of improvement I think she’ll be fine *I’m not an expert though!*

lucky you! My rabbit is still a sulking bundiva after 2.5weeks now!! She’s still moody unfortunately. We just hope she’d go back to normal soon so she will come around to ask for hugs. Missing those moments before her spay ;(

I had two of my females spayed at the same time and they recovered very differently. I was very worried about the 4 year old because she was older and was bred over and over then they were done with her and that’s when I got her but she ended up recovering faster than the 6 month old. She was back to herself (personality wise) in about three days. The 6 month old took about a week. 12 days seems like a long time but all rabbits are different and I was told some rabbits just have a harder time dealing with the hormone changes than others. As long as she’s eating and pooping normally I wouldn’t worry about it and just wait it out.

oh yes lucky you! A week is nothing when my bunny is still sulking after 2.5weeks! Yes she’s such a spoiled and moody bun, but was super loveable before spay. Hoping she’d go back to her cuddly self soon.

So my rabbit is still sulking after 3.5weeks post spay surgery. She already licks our hands... BUT still no cuddle yet! She used to cuddle us everytime we wake up in the morning and after we arrive at home from work. But now she doesn’t even bother that we are here with her giving her head rubs and snacks!
It’s becoming annoying to have her sulky behaviour... we miss her cuddle..

Haven’t been through a spay but my buck was a rascal for 2 months. But later he was to the cuddly bunny he is, just got extremely annoyed because he kept me awake during the night and only show me his fluffy tail to me.

I would often shout at him to stop throwing toys in the cage. But he just looked at me with:

“I dare you to try stoping me” glare and started to throw the toys again.

He played everyday, always different time during the night and early mornings (4:30). I wanted to throw him out from the room. But then I would only reward his behavior which he started after being neutered.

I had no problem with him ignoring me and refusing giving me kisses. Only showing a fluffy tail to me. But his behavior during the night, nearly broke me ^^

So they can be quite stubborn, it also take a longer time for doe to heal. So have patience and she will be back to normal :)

Haven’t been through a spay but my buck was a rascal for 2 months. But later he was to the cuddly bunny he is, just got extremely annoyed because he kept me awake during the night and only show me his fluffy tail to me.

I would often shout at him to stop throwing toys in the cage. But he just looked at me with:

“I dare you to try stoping me” glare and started to throw the toys again.

He played everyday, always different time during the night and early mornings (4:30). I wanted to throw him out from the room. But then I would only reward his behavior which he started after being neutered.

I had no problem with him ignoring me and refusing giving me kisses. Only showing a fluffy tail to me. But his behavior during the night, nearly broke me ^^

So they can be quite stubborn, it also take a longer time for doe to heal. So have patience and she will be back to normal :)

thanks for sharing! Now it’s been a month after spay surgery and my bunny is still upset and cranky as she is.. i really hope my bunny will be back to her cuddly self, missing her

thanks for sharing! Now it’s been a month after spay surgery and my bunny is still upset and cranky as she is.. i really hope my bunny will be back to her cuddly self, missing her

You only need to bribe your bunny and she will slowly warm up again ^^

Rabbits pick up on your actions and verbal communication. Shouting at your bunny will transmit the negativity that your voice transmits. Our rabbit-savvy DVMs are very informed and provide advice as to a quiet environment for them to heal and let the internal sutures and surgical adhesive mend. Removing any levels or spots for a boy/girl to jump on are good advice. A low-sided litter pan with comfort bedding is good advice.
Hormones make them do certain things perhaps fitting the cuddly description you described. All our family members are sp/eutered. With their different personalities, certain buns retain their grooming and kisses to their human caregivers or their sp/eutered bondmate, and most all of our elder buns get more cuddly as he or she matures - ages 8 to 13+ years old.

What you describe as being cranky may possibly be the handling or treatment she experienced? Our Tan breed rescue from a high-volume/high euthanization shelter fought vehemently when I tried to hold or pick him up. He got neutered. Transitioned to a home where arguing and loud voices were heard.
It took him years to be calm and settle down once he was removed from the prior environment. He eventually became a huge cuddler and kisser as he aged. He likewise had fear concerns for the vacuum cleaner so we carefully observed the triggers that would cause him stress.

One of our boys who was neutered a year ago is finally adjusting to us. Hubby can easily pick him up, and he tooth purrs. He'll come running to hubby and wait for a small reward at designated "treat" times during the day. Just took time to feel relaxed and establish trust.

I hope with your reassuring communication and patience post-healing time frame she'll be the cuddly girl you knew, and there is no underlying medical reason for her to act abnormal or aloof.

Latest posts

Back