Spaying question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgaowens

Reaction score
I just got back from the vet with Oreo and everything went well. I am just curious if it is normal for her to want to lay around and not eat much? I got her to eat five carrot tops but nothing else in the past hour. Is this normal? I am a first time bunny owner and am a little concerned.

Yes, most bunnies will take time to eat like normal again after surgery especially girls. So best to monitor her closely. If she hasn't even for more than 12hrs, then you might want to ring your vet about it.

You were given metacam/meloxicam, I hope? :)

A spay is a major surgery. So she's going to be uncomfortable, even with adequate pain meds. Some rabbits can also have some nausea from the anesthesia.

I've had the best luck getting them eating again, by continuing to offer some of their usual leafy greens, every hour. If she will at least eat a small amount each time, this will help keep her digestion moving and also help keep her hydrated.

One very important aspect of a rabbits post surgical recovery, is making sure they have a warm body temp. Anesthesia can lower a rabbits body temp, and they can become hypothermic after surgery. A cold rabbit will be less inclined to eat, so it's important to monitor the body temp and warm the rabbit up if needed. Easiest way to check if a rabbit is cold, is by feeling their ears. If the ears are warm, the rabbit is warm, if the ears feel icy cold, the rabbit is too cold and needs help getting warmed up using a safe warming method.

If your rabbit isn't eating semi normally by morning, you'll need to contact your vet for a syringe feeding mix and instructions on syringe feeding. A rabbit shouldn't go more than 24 hours without eating an adequate amount to keep their digestion moving well, or GI stasis can set in.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

I got her to eat some more carrot tops. She doesn’t want her pellets. She also ate a couple dried cranberries and I’ve been giving her water in a spoon. She was a little cold so I gave her the blanket she likes and she burrowed a little in it. The vet gave me some critical care to bring home so if I need to I can use that. I’d rather have it and not need it. I’m going to keep and eye on her and make sure she stays warm. So far so good. She even groomed her face. Thanks for all the help. I’ll keep you guys posted.

So far this morning she has eaten some parsley and carrot tops and a small carrot stick. She still won’t eat her other veggies or pellets but I keep trying every hour. The vet told me this morning if she didn’t poop by this afternoon to feed her a little critical care. She has produced six cecotropes so I am hopeful we are doing good. She is moving around her little enclosure and grooming. Even managed to chin my husbands finger. She will only take water from a spoon or my finger so I am beginning to wonder if she is liking the attention there. Like I said earlier I’ve never dealt with rabbits before so I am a little scared.

If she is used to eating leafy lettuce, that would be a good one to try as well, and to keep offering it to her if she'll eat it. I would keep offering her greens if she will continue to eat them. Does she also have hay available to her? And did the vet send you home with the NSAID meloxicam/metacam to give to her twice a day?

I have made her hay available to her. Putting it in a small pile instead of her hanging bag, which I also have lowered by her litter box so she can access it easier. I do have the metacam which I have been told to give her every twelve hours. She is still just wanting the parsley and carrot tops. I am going to try and give her some green leaf or oak leaf lettuce later. I was also advised to give her a little pumpkin to help. She is moving more and whenever her ears are cold she is burrowing under her blanket. I still have to check her incision later and am at a loss as how to accomplish this. She isn’t one of the cuddly types that likes being picked up.

Ok. She is eating her hay and we have one poop. It’s a little oval shaped but at least it’s there. I never thought I’d be so happy to see a poop ball.

She is eating more than carrot tops now. She’s had some pellets, more hay, radicchio and bok choy. She has also pooped. Therevare some small ones and they are a little misshapen but I am taking as a good sign. She is also digging in her litter box and moving her towels around her pen. She is also trying to periscope a little. So I am a relieved bun mom. Thanks to,all of you for helping to keep me sane.

One of our females took ~3 to 4 days to completely bounce back from spay surgery.

Hooray for digging and moving her towels around!!

@sgaowens , I am glad your girl is acting more normal and nibbling hay, and attempting a periscope. Though you know to keep her more confined, correct?

Our rabbit-savvy DVM may have had to repair ruptured internal sutures or a death occurred when a newly-spayed female was jumping on items, running around, bouncing around, I wasn't sure if Dana Krempels, PhD and educator covered that in her excellent pre and post-op article. In our post-surgical instructions, we always keep surgical buns confined & quiet for new tissue to mend incisions.

Mega-rinsed cilantro amd leafy greens as JBun mentioned, or any non-gassy veggie, helped our crew recover multiple times.

Yes. She has an Xpen that I put together that is usually 7 by 6 and I have it down to 4 by 4. Each panel is 15 inches wide so for her size it is adequate for now. We are I. The process of buying more panels to enlarge it once again but at the moment the seller doesn’t have them in stock. I gave her some cilantro tonight and she ate it all. She hasn’t touched her romaine but has eaten her oak leaf lettuce.

The easiest way to check the incision is to get your rabbit to periscope up and put the front paws up on something to get to a treat held in your hand, then you can see the belly while she reaches up, or take a photo with your phone.

It's always a relief seeing the eating and poop coming again. Post surgery recovery is such a stressful part of bunny ownership. The poop will gradually improve as she continues to eat more and get back to her normal eating routine.

I’d say she is feeling better. This morning I found out she had been redecorating her pen during the night. I’m still keeping her as calm as I can. I’ve pinned a sheet over the top of her pen to keep it dim and to prevent her from trying to jump up. She is eating a lot better and her litter box was full of poop this morning so I am very relieved. Her incision site looked real good last night. No oozing, puffiness or redness. I wrapped her in a towel last night but I think today I will try and use a banana to get her to periscope. Thank you all so much for all the help and advice. You all helped to keep me calm.

Latest posts

Back