Spaying/pasteurella question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaylicourt

Reaction score
Hey there, one question:

My bunny has pasteurella, it's not majorly bad, no sore eyes, no abscesses, literally just a constant snuffly nose. She's a really lively and happy rabbit,

She's booked in to be spayed in a couple of weeks but will my vet even spay her because of her illness? Will the stress of the operation have a negative impact on her, as pasteurella is made worse with stress?

I feel it would be better for her in the long run, that way she wont have the frustration of being un-spayed with all the nesting and stuff on top of her stressful constant sneezing. So i really hope she can have the operation!

I guess this is what the pre-op check is for right? Sorry if i'm being stupid, just want to do whats best for my bunny :)

:bunnydance: :bunnydance: :bunnydance:

So she's not had the check up before the surgery yet? Your vet will decide on her health and what's best. I know that a lot of females get uterine cancer without the surgery so to me, it's the best unless they are not healthy enough to survive. I just posted about my pre surgery health check up and my lop and she was found totally healthy and is getting spayed in one week. Good luck. I don't know any bunnies with Pasteurella that is active....they all have it but an illness can bring on the symptoms.

Hey there, one question:

My bunny has pasteurella, it's not majorly bad, no sore eyes, no abscesses, literally just a constant snuffly nose. She's a really lively and happy rabbit,

She's booked in to be spayed in a couple of weeks but will my vet even spay her because of her illness? Will the stress of the operation have a negative impact on her, as pasteurella is made worse with stress?

I feel it would be better for her in the long run, that way she wont have the frustration of being un-spayed with all the nesting and stuff on top of her stressful constant sneezing. So i really hope she can have the operation!

I guess this is what the pre-op check is for right? Sorry if i'm being stupid, just want to do whats best for my bunny :)
-- :bunnydance: :bunnydance:
--prey animals can,t handle stress--it promotes bad opportunististic bacteria to further weaken the immune system,,-proper exam and waiting before spay would be the best idea,--sincerely james waller--:pink iris::happybunny:

how do we know she has Pasteurella? Has it been culture? Is there pus coming from her nares? Has she been treated? Has she had an x-ray taken of her chest and head? Some questions to answer before you can decide if her snuffling is a problem or not. Many bunnies snuffle and don't have Pasteurella.. .some may even have something minor like allergies or snuffling due to slightly overgrown teeth impinging on her sinuses. If she is breathing properly and no actual active Pasteurella infection, and her lungs look clear/normal on radiographs, I think spaying her might be OK... but anesthesia/surgical stress can certainly allow something laying dormant to become active again.

Latest posts

Back