Spaying My Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsyBunnies4

Reaction score
Hi all.

After my bunny lost her last litter and is unable to be a mom, I'm starting to look into spaying her. To be honest, I'm a little worried that her babies were stillborn due to a problem with her uterus. The vet didn't seem concerned when we took her in a month ago. Though, I can't help but worry. We are going to be on a trip next weekend and then the following weekend leaving for a week. Obviously, we will have a house sitter but I won't be able to get her spayed until we get home. Do you think it is best to wait until after the trip or try to squeeze it in before next weekend? She will be 2yrs old on June 29th. Is that an ok age to spay her? Are there any questions I should ask the vet? This is my first time having one of my bunnies spayed and I'm really nervous. She is so dear to my heart, I would hate for anything to happen to her and want to do this the safest way possible. Thanks!

Wait until you get back. Ideal age for spaying is 4-6 months but 2 years is fine. Make sure you have painkiller to give her twice a day for 5 days and go to a good rabbit vet.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give a quick update! She was spayed today and came home this evening. She seems a little groggy and hasn't eaten anything yet... is this normal? I gave her some Small Pet Select Appetite Restore and water via Syringe.

I had my bun spayed on Monday and her appetite didn’t really return until Tuesday evening. I managed to get a little hay and herbs into her every hour. It wasn’t much, but enough to keep things moving and I was able to avoid syringe feeding.

I found gently brushing her nose with the food until she got annoyed and snatched it got her eating a little.

She was super fussy and would only eat oat hay and mint, so offer a variety of fresh veggies, herbs and hay and hopefully she’ll pick something she fancies so you can avoid syringe feeding.

I also dipped the mint in a little water to help with her hydration.

Good luck, I know it’s a bit stressful!

Did the vet send home pain meds(meloxicam) for her? Those can be a very important part of their recovery, especially with spay surgeries which are more invasive. It's good she's starting to eat on her own. I would concentrate mostly on giving her her usual leafy greens, and minimal high sugar foods like the apple. You just don't want to overload her gut with too many sugars and risk upsetting the bacterial balance.

It's also important to make sure she's staying warm. They can get hypothermic after anesthesia, and a cold rabbit is less inclined to eat, plus it can affect their recovery. The link TreasuredFriend posted above, has good post surgical info.

The vet did send her home with meloxicam but I'm not to give her the next dose until later this afternoon. She hasn't eaten much besides a little more parsley and hasn't pooped (she did pee). I'm getting a little worried...
I had her fan on because yesterday it soared above 90 degrees. Then it rained last night and cooled down, so she may have gotten too cold (her fan is off now). Thanks for your help!

If she isn't eating enough on her own to keep her gut moving, then she does need to be continued to be syringe fed food and water (slowly and carefully to minimize aspiration risks) until she starts eating better on her own. A rabbit shouldn't go more than 12-24 hours without eating sufficient amounts, and this would be starting from the time you dropped your bun off. If you aren't sure what you should do, best to phone your vet up.

When gauging their body temp, I will feel their ears. It can give a good general idea. If the ears feel cold, they are likely too cold. If they feel hot, too hot. They should feel slightly warm to medium warm.

She is making progress!! She has been eating more and starting pooping earlier this afternoon (yay)! She seems more comfortable since I gave her the Meloxicam.

We had a look at her incision and I am curious if this looks normal to you guys? I was concerned about the blue/yellow spots but it looks as though it is just some stains on her fur and not on the skin (maybe it's a bruise), is this worrisome? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2622.JPG
    IMG_2622.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 3
Maybe bruising. If you're concerned, best thing to do would be email the photos to your vet and ask them if it looks alright.

I'm really glad she's doing much better.

Latest posts

Back