Spaying an adult bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delph

Reaction score
Hello,
we recently adopted a 3 year old female Dutch rabbit. She used to be kept outdoor in a small cage, and we're now having her indoor. The goal is to transition her to be free roaming. She had not been spayed, as her previous owner thought the risk were not worth the benefits. She is doing pretty well with her litter, however she does spray and mark her territory. Not a lot, but every now and then, and especially around the guinea pigs cage!! lol!
Should I consider spaying her now, or is it too late?
thank you!

If she is completely healthy then I think that a spay would be beneficial as she is already the age of 3 when rabbits have a 60% chance of developing uterine cancer, which then increases to a further 80% when they turn 6. It not only eliminates chances of uterine cancer, it can decrease the chances of phantom pregnancies where females think they're pregnant but they aren't (this is very stressful for the rabbit). And finally if you like, you think of getting her a partner from a shelter or elsewhere for her and she will already be spayed. You could request an app with her vet to do a general checkup and also ask if they think she is fit for the surgery, if you'd like some vets offer blood tests to check if the bun is healthy and stable enough as well.

The videos below may be helpful-

We also rescued our rabbit at age 3 and had her spayed as soon as we got her. She did well. My understanding, from a previous vet, about the cancer risk stats mentioned above is that, while the percentages are correct, the risk is reduced when they are spayed at a young age. In other words, spaying later will not prevent tumors. Our bun passed away last November, at age 6, from a couple of tumors. It also doesn't mean yours will - she could live many years. Here is a very helpful link w/info re: spaying from a well-respected and very helpful site, House Rabbit Society: Spaying and Neutering | House Rabbit Society Best wishes!

Spaying can be so beneficial! I got Willa spayed a few months before her 2nd birthday, and even though she was "older" the benefits far exceeded the risks! As Blue Eyes said, many rescues very routinely spay older rabbits with a very high success rate... Good luck with your decision, although I think a spay would be a very good choice for you and your bun, especially given the behavioral issues you mentioned.

3 isn't thet old, I considered spaying spaying a 6yo girl, but there the vet didn't think it was a good idea.

Latest posts

Back