Spaying a flemish giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenniferdavidson

JudeFlemishGiant
Reaction score
Hi,

My flemish giant is between 4 and 5 months old. I've heard mixed reviews as to when to have her spayed. The vet said to do it now, but I have heard from other flemmie owners that 8-9 months is better. I definitely want to have it done for health reasons, but has anyone else ever had this dillemma?

It's really up to the vet. Generally larger breeds mature more slowly which is why they say for flemmies for them to be at least 6-9 months before spaying. But if your vet is confident that he can perform the surgery now, then there's no reason why not. For smaller breeds, it's more about the size of the rabbit that limits when vets are comfortable doing a spay/neuter. Since the smaller the animal I believe the more sensitive to anesthetic they can be.

I'm sure some of our felmmie owners will let you know what they did soon enough :)

Thanks! The vet didn't even ask me the breed of rabbit which, when I found out that flemish giants mature much slower than other breeds, made me question his knowledge. Now, I have time to find a vet that actually really specializes in rabbits. This vet clinic was an "all animal exotic" clinic, so I thought it would be the best choice but I think I'm going shop around since I have a few months anyways....

Thanks so much!!! I've been having a hell of a time finding listings for Canada! There are actually three that are close to me on this list!!! Yay :)

Latest posts

Back