Spayed Pair of Females Fighting All of a Sudden.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moscow_mule

Reaction score
Hi,
Brand new to this forum and I need some help.
I have 2 female rabbits (Unsure of breed I'm afraid). We got them around 7 months ago. They were both in the pet store together and had already bonded. They were already very close and this is why we got both as we did'nt want them to be separated. This was also under the advice of the pet store.
All of a sudden this morning they started fighting. Tearing clumps of fur out of one another and being really quite violent. Thankfully they don't seem they have any injuries. I separated them for about 4 hours. After this I brought them back together and almost immediately it happened again. I have absolutely no idea why and am stuck at what to do about it.
We keep them in a shared outdoor hutch at night time and during the day they share a pen attached to the hutch so they can run around. In the late afternoon and evening we bring them into the house so they can eat and have free roam of the living room together from about 5pm to 9pm. They were spayed around 3 months ago and they were absolutely fine together during the healing process.
This is the first time they have ever been apart from each other and they have always been the best of friends so I don't understand why today they have all of a sudden decided to hate each other.
Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Baby bonds don't count. Rabbits that seem to be best friends when they are babies may not always turn out to be best friends after puberty and even after a spay. All babies will seemingly bond with each other. This is why it is not recommended to buy two babies to start with. That was bad advice on the pet stores part. What you will have to do is separate them for a few weeks to make them forget each other, and now that they have already had two fights, there may be a chance that they will never bond. This means separate rooms where they can't see each other and wash your hands and change your clothes after playing with one and going to the other. Then after the separation phase, you will have to start the bonding process in a neutral room (where neither bun has ever been before), I think @Blue eyes has a page on her website on bonding, if not she does know a lot more about bonding than I do.

Thanks for your help. We weren't aware that baby bonding was even a thing. Seems so odd that they can turn on each other after being inseparable for 7 months, and it being like turning a switch.
I'm so shocked the pet store didn't tell us this as it was a big name pet store and the woman that helped us said that she keeps rabbits at home and was giving us a lot of advice. Including saying that the store didn't want them separated when sold as they had bonded so well together. We only wanted one bunny but decided to get both as we had our heart set on one of them and it seemed unfair to separate them based on what we were told.
It's really sad to see them fighting when we thought we were doing the right thing and thought they were best buds.

Oooo. I couldnt even hazard a guess if I'm honest. I cant remember what the vet told us when we last took them for a check up. Sorry.

That's what we thought as well. We were never told at the store and we never even thought to ask at the time. I'm starting to see a pattern here with the service from that store that I didnt notice before. lol
Thanks. you have been really helpful.

Those photos arent enough to determine a breed.
You need to post an accurate current weight and some side view photos of them. Those faces dont look smushed enough and those ears are on the long side to be NDs. They are likely just generic mixes.

Latest posts

Back