Spayed or not spayed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed&Op

Reaction score
A bit of a strange story, and need some advice. Last year I found my female bunny in my neighborhood and rescued her after feeding her and trapping her over a month. I think she was born in our neighborhood as there were other bunnies that looked like siblings roaming around. After she acclimated, I took her to the vet for spaying and vaccinations. At her spay appointment, after being anesthetized, the vet tech called asking if she had already been spayed, because he couldn’t find any reproductive organs, but she had a vaginal canal. He did an exploratory surgery and still didn’t find anything. I don’t believe she had been spayed, as she seemed like she was from an abandoned litter in the neighborhood, and I had been feeding her, then had her for at least 4 months, so she should have been sexually mature and seemed to be close to a year, so very strange.

Fast forward a year… I adopted another male, neutered rabbit as a companion for her. She had an issue with mounting him a lot at first, then it died down, although she still exhibited the behavior from time to time. They have been fully bonded for about 7 months. Two days ago I came home to her building a nest.I know she can’t be pregnant, and I am thinking this may be a false pregnancy. I washed the bed she used to make her nest in, and she hasn’t attempted to rebuild. She has however been mounting her companion more, and they have almost gotten in a few fights with circling, nipping, and ears forward. I’ve been watching them closely. I’m worried that she is having hormonal issues, or is still intact. I’m going to make a vet appointment to get an ultrasound and see if they can see any reproductive organs.Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any ideas or suggestions?

Was the vet that tried the spay surgery an experienced rabbit vet?
Yes, according to the vet office. I went to him because he had a lot of experience with rabbits. He said out of many, many spays and neuters it was the first time this has ever happened.

Hi there. I am hopefully soon going to be getting my doe/female mini lop rabbit spayed because we want to rescue a neutered male and bond them hopefully. But I wanted some advice about the complications and how rare it is for the rabbit to pass during the operation.she’s my first bunny so I’m new to spaying and neutering wandered if anybody had any advice.

Hi there. I am hopefully soon going to be getting my doe/female mini lop rabbit spayed because we want to rescue a neutered male and bond them hopefully. But I wanted some advice about the complications and how rare it is for the rabbit to pass during the operation.she’s my first bunny so I’m new to spaying and neutering wandered if anybody had any advice.
Please begin a brand new thread so that people can see your specific question.

I know that finding a place that works with rabbits often is one of the best things you can do. Getting her spayed will also prevent cancer and extend life significantly.

I know that finding a place that works with rabbits often is one of the best things you can do. Getting her spayed will also prevent cancer and extend life significantly.
Thanks so much for ur help.

Latest posts

Back