Spayed female bun being terrirtorial and obnoxiously destructive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juliew19673

Reaction score
I need to get my newest bun that I adopted from the shelter that I volunteer atto stop peeing on everything as well as chewing up my floorboards,carpets and just being destructive all around (she was unsexed end of February - so hormones are not the problem)..

She was one of the best buns at the shelter (clean, great disposition, never a problem, just quiet, was there for about1 year). Now she is hell on wheels at my home and being a big bully with my other bun and kitten. Think its "prison freedom syndrome?". She no longer is confinded to a "hutch" such as she was at the shelter and is not just gettingtaken out at noon everyday for 15 minutes and then put back; nor had she had to deal with other animals, while there.

Been working on this for sometime, just not sure how to "correct" her other than giving her time out (back into her Xpen) when she chases the other pets (thought at first, they'll work out their pack, but she just seems to do it now to be a bully).And further, I do not allow any pet to chase the other (as I'm dealing with cats and buns, would never allow the kitten to do this - don't want her to grow bigger and then have instinct kick in; so the same goes for buns, other than then maybe one needs show they are in charge but Gabby just seems to be a bully - so not OK.

Everyone "gets along" as long as Gabby can have whatever place the others are sleeping in and thats not fine with me. Gabby and Baxter! were bonded about a month ago and have been fine (other than their bonding was by "ill-gotten-means" as Gabby just jumped out of her Xpen one night and chased his lil furry butt around all night and I awoke to the 2 of them cuddling in his Xpen (his was never shut as he was just a good boy all of the time). They've been "close-friends" after this incident,but wouldn't say "in-love", probably as their bonding process was like the worst date ever and then you moved in with each other and now they put up with each other.

I realize nature has to call some of the shots (Gabby becomes King of the Hill and the others must respect her)just not sure where instinct/nature end and bullying starts?

I'd just be happy at this point if Gabby could have free run all of the time and stop destroying everything.

I REALLY have to laugh at this one....like I am sitting here hysterically laughing :laugh:.

Why?

My Molly is the SAME way! She was a CL rescue at 6 months (back in November) and I had her spayed. I tried a few bonding sessions between her and Morgan (I got her just for him after doing a date & they did well)...but I just didn't have the time/energy to bond them...so I left it at "Well, one day when they bond...." sort of things, then just when I started to get really "depressed" that I brought home another SINGLE bunny, Molly escaped her pen and I went into the bunny room to find Morgan (free range) and her hanging out together! I spent the night in there and they have been bonded since (that was about a month ago). I also wouldn't say they are the best of lovers yet, but they sure are getting there.

Now Molly is soooo snotty, when she used to be so sweet! She chases, boxes, and lunges the cats & dog whenever they cross her path. She will NOT allow for any other rabbit to have play time in the bunny room - it was manageable with Brody, but now that Brody is in the living room she will not allow Marlin to play in there and will try to fight Morgan because she gets so worked up. She is even digging at my carpets in there and also peeing on them (in certain area, but I just put a litter box there, so I hope that helps).

Anyway....I thought about caging the both of them, but Morgan has been free range for a year and I know he'd HATE it.

Hopefully the both of us can find solutions to our amazingly similar issues :p.

Latest posts

Back