Spayed Female 2 y.o. started peeing outside litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nataly

Reaction score
She used to be very good, NEVER peeing outside the litterbox. She has a larger-than-litterbox size container where I give her hay on one side and sometimes she does her business there on the other end, but usually she even jumps to the litterbox to pee.

Recently, I was rearranging the layout of furniture and in the past couple weeks I moved her litter/hay/water to new areas a couple times seeing the best layout of it in the room since its getting cold outside and we have floor to ceiling windows. Could it be that she's mad that I kept moving her stuff over a couple weeeks? Like over 3 weeks I moved her stuff 4 times....Right after this she started peeing out.

The other thing I was thinking, is infection. SHe is drinking and peeing more than usual BUT we wanted her to drink more water and we figured out that when we add hot water to her waterbowl and the water is really warm then she chugs it!!! loll never seen that in rabbits before...So because of the huge windows and small apartment the floor gets very cold which is why I moved her station away from windows and thats why her water gets cold so fast. We keep like 24 degrees (75F) in the apartment but it goes to the 9ft ceilings and floor is cold! PLUS she likes to lie right by the window where its the coldest! Her fur even got wet sometimes from the window condensation. SO I thought maybe she got a lil cold in her urinary system???
Since then, I have put blankets and towels everywhere including under her waterbowl and near the windows.

Just in case we are also trying a low pellet diet, as we are familiar with kidney problems from our other bun.

Otherwise she is acting perfectly normal, eating very well, running for vegetables, jumping all over the couch. She is a Flemish Giant mix.

Could it be just a behavioural thing? Or could it be a slight health thing even though everything else is normal? Or am I overreacting lol

My only idea would be to put the litter box back where it was originally and see if that fixes the problem. Also make sure it is clean.

Moving a litter box could definitely be a reason. Some rabbits don't like their stuff rearranged. If it was urinary incontinence from a health issue, usually they will also have a urine soaked bum, particularly up around the genitals, tail and inside legs.

Latest posts

Back