Spay Recovery Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossombunbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone :) My 5 month old english spot was spayed Tuesday morning. She seems to be recovering well, but I have a few questions as she is my first bunny.

When will her appetite return to normal? She didn’t eat much of anything until yesterday morning about 24 hours after surgery. It is now Thursday afternoon and she nibbles on hay here and there, but the only foods she’s interested in are cilantro and raisins. She’s normally a little pig.

When will I be able to let her free roam? I can tell she’s moving around in her pen better than she could on Tuesday/Wednesday, but I know her stitches are too new and letting her run around my apartment wouldn’t be the best idea for a bit. Thankfully her incision looks really good so far and she has left it alone besides some grooming

How should I go about getting her to poop in her litter box more often? Before her spay, I had managed to get her to pee in her litter box most of the time, but she poops wherever she wants. I always put hay in there and she’ll poop in there while she eats, but otherwise it’s everywhere haha.

Lastly, she was a very very sweet girl before her spay. She loves people and dogs. She has only growled at me once and I think I had just woken her up from a nap hahaha. Today, she feels better to beg me for pets and lick all over my forehead. What behavior changes should I expect in the next few weeks?

She can have a bit of a hormonal ride where her temperament shift but that would be understandable.

Wait at least until a week but preferably two weeks, to let her wound heal. She will get appetite soon and it’s good she’s eating on her own. But if she seem to be aggrevated in the pen and try to escape or jump over and it seem to be safer to let her free roam, let her out under supervision.

Letting her free roam too soon can make her hurt herself, they will jump up on things and be crazy bunnies 🤣

Myself let my buck out when a week had gone by. The cage was a lot more cleaner than what the house is but he still wanted to jump up on things. So a doe with a stomach incision should need a bit of more time to heal.

Latest posts

Back