Spay or wait?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
Hi my little Luna (7 months) is starting to get reckless. She causes trouble, chews a lot, and just a little bratty, lol. I got Pup neutered at 7 months and I want to get her spayed--to both decrease her raging hormones and decrease her chance of disease--BUT I am afraid of her going under the anestesia (sp). I have heard some stories where rabbits dont wake up :(

I am terrified that will happen to her because she is so delicate and SO SO afraid of being picked up and stuff. She oftens squeaks and pants and breathes real fast out of fear.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments? That would be great :) This is my lil Luna

20130706_135207.jpg

Hello

I totally understand your concern as I have heard the stories of bunnies not returning after being under anesthesia ...

I think it really is just finding a really good Rabbit-savy vet that is willing to take your concerns and luna's fright into consideration when treating/operating on her. Talk to your vet and tell her how fragile luna is.

I also have a baby bun that I want neutered (he thinks it's cool to pee on mommy's bed while she is sleeping) and I also feel scared to do it, but my vet is really sweet and gentle with my bun which made me trust her when she handles him !!!!

Lots of bunny hugs to you, Luna & Pup !!!

As long as you have a rabbit-savy vet, the risks are minimal. You can find out more about choosing the right vet here (if it jumps to FAQ, then click on 'spaying & neutering.'

Sure, there are risks with the surgery...I personally know of a couple of people who lost their rabbits during the surgery. It's very important that the vet be knowledgeable of rabbits, and most of the time there isn't a problem. You can't predict who will have a reaction to the anesthesia or who has a hidden heart problem, but express your concerns to the vet and if he can do tests ahead of time to check for certain things then maybe you can minimize the risk.

She's a cutie, by the way!

Latest posts

Back