Spay/Neuter Rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samantha Way

Reaction score
I have two bunnies, a male and a female. I was going to neuter the male so they could be together but would I have to spay the female as well?

Yes. It is much preferred that all rabbits intended to be bonded should be fixed. In some rarer instances, it may be possible, but it is not reccommended unless some really special situation occurs. Thus, usually it is not worth the risk.
Do keep them separated until two months after their surgeries for increased chances of bonding better.

Technically, no. This is actually a quite common combination around here, spaying does isn't that much of a dogma outside the english speaking part of the world. But spaying the doe does have advantages, espacially if you plan to house them indoors. There are also health benefits that outweight the risks for a lot of people, not to speak of mood swings and false pregnancies. Then there is no risk of pregnancy - one of my does got knocked up by a wild buck (not likely in the US, but possible over here) and last year I found a neighbours pet buck inside my fenced hutch area - twice.

It really depends on the individual characters how well they get along, hormonal behaviour can interfere with bonding, and put some stress on the relationship, like if the doe is dominant, but mixed couples are the most easy ones.

If you don't spay the doe you'll need to keep the buck seperated for at least 4 weeks, they can be fertile that long aftere neutering.

I did let my free range house rabbits together as soon as the doe was healed up after a few days, didn't see any reason to wait. My buck is still intact though. It's something different if trying to bond two neutered bucks, then I would wait the 2 months for all hormones to dissipate.
I have two pairs of intact does, if they characters match (a more sensitive issue in this combination) that works too, although I skipped the bonding stuff by keeping daughters that got along well with the mum. It's not like they only become social animals through spaying/neutering.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back