Spay/Neuter Assistance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ainsleys_mommy

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a program that offers spay/neuter assistance for rabbits to low income families? I've been calling around to rabbit vets in the area offering to work in exchange for my rabbits' surgeries, but nobody will do it. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I just want to do what's right for them.

I could eventually save up enough money to do it one at a time, but I'd really like to get them done ASAP so they can all be let out every day, together, for equal amounts of time. Right now I'm having to stagger it.

This is usually more of a local thing than, say a nationwide thing. At least around here, lots of the city shelters have programs where they offer free or low-cost vouchers to low-income families. Another good option is contacting a rabbit rescue and finding out if you can have it done through them or finding out what vet they use as often their vets can offer you a good price and are experienced.

If you Google Spay voucher program Kentucky, you will get links to low cost options in your state. I'm sure you could find someone near you to contact to see if they offer help for rabbits as well as dogs and cats.

The local SNIP clinic only does dogs and cats. There's a spay/neuter low-cost clinic that does rabbits about an hour and half from here, but they killed my last rabbit because they didn't know what they were doing. I won't go back there. The local house rabbit society recommended them when I emailed her.

I know how you feel. We lost an elderly cat and a few months later my husband made a stop totally unrelated to but brought home a cat. Turned out she was preggo. We found good homes for all but two who are still with us. So far we have the boy neutered but still have the two girls to do. The two girl buns I took in otherwise they would have been let loose really need it as well.

Ask your preferred vet if you could do some cleaning at his/her office to help offset the cost too.

I don't have any other ideas for you really except maybe calling the local humane society and seeing if they know of another vet that might be able to help you out.

I have donated plasma in the past for a 6 month stint. It is good money, but just a warning that long term it eventually makes you feel like crap and the needle site gets very sore. But I think I made $30 the first session during the week and $40 for the second donation in the week. You should be able to save up in just a few weeks.

Update: I went to donate plasma, but was told since I have fibromyalgia and it's considered an immunodeficiency disease, that I couldn't donate. I'm now working 2 jobs and over 60 hours a week, but I'm still barely able to support myself, let alone pay for the surgeries. I'm considering rehoming them. It's not fair to them that they seldom are let out of their cages. And in a vain attempt to try to work more to pay for it, all that has done is made me be around even less.

Latest posts

Back