Spay incision normal??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlzbunnymom

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My 1 year old holland lop got spayed 4 days ago (gas anesthesia, internal dissolvable stitches), and has been bouncing back pretty well overall. She has as much energy as before the surgery, eating/drinking plenty, and pooping. However, the poops have been a mixture of regular, mushy, and small/dark/hard. On day 2 her poop was smelling really bad, but I just assumed it was bc she was mainly eating veggies and some fruits (she refused to eat pellets and only very little hay).

My concern now is also in regards to a bad smell, kind of similar, but a bit sharp/foul, coming from her bottom. I can’t tell if it’s bc her digestive system has been thrown out of wack bc of the surgery or if it’s from the incision, but her little box doesn’t have that smell. I also noticed today that she has a small bump, about the size of a pea on the bottom of the incision site. When I gently touched it, it was soft, not hard. She was trying to lick the incision site initially after the surgery, but I put her in a rabbit onesie (opposed to a cone) to prevent any further licks.

is this an infection, ruptured internal stitches, pooling blood, or maybe just wear the stitches were “tied up”? It’s my first time ever getting a rabbit spayed and I’m not sure what to look for or what’s considered “normal”. I’m really nervous and would appreciate any help I can get! Thanks!

Attachments

• 1F20F407-4535-406E-8164-9D5F63543306.jpeg
    1F20F407-4535-406E-8164-9D5F63543306.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 8
The incision look good and you can’t see any inflammation around the wound ☺

thank you for your reply! So the bump on the bottom is normal? I’m just worried about the sharp smell, as it’s coming from that area.

Do the bump smell? or is it the the mushy droppings that cause the smell?

I’ve never had girls spayed before, so I can’t judge if the bump is normal. I can only see how the incision is and the skin around.

Do the bump smell? or is it the the mushy droppings that cause the smell?

I’ve never had girls spayed before, so I can’t judge if the bump is normal. I can only see how the incision is and the skin around.
The general incision area seems to smell. :/

Latest posts

Back