Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talia

Reaction score
I have a Male New Zealand rabbit and just recently got a Holland lop female. The previous owner which was a friend of mine told me she had gotten the Male neutered already but she didn't and I have seen the two of them humping each other and I can't afford to spay her or neuter him right now and I don't know what I can currently do. I have tried to separate them, but that has stressed them out and I don't want to do that. Any suggestions??

If she is pregnant that can be very dangerous for her with him being so much larger than her the kits will likely be too big for her to handle and when she goes to give birth it can kill her. Usually, I don't like to say terminate it, but if she starts showing signs of pregnancy then the litter needs to be terminated and she will need an emergency spay if you want her to live. I understand that you don't have the money but if it is an emergency like this, you can find a vet that will do payments.

Are you sure he's not neutered? Did your friend change her story and say she didn't neuter him, or do you just think he's not because of the humping, or does he still have testicles?

Ok, well then like Watermelons said you need to separate them. Maybe if they are in adjoining pens that will lessen the separation stress, but you will need to make sure the bar spacing doesn't allow him to mate with her in between the bars(which can happen). She's likely pregnant if she is older than 4 months, so prepare for babies in about 30 days from when they mated. Give the mom a huge pile of grass hay and a nest box on about day 27.
https://flashsplace.webs.com/accidentallitters.htm

If you want to keep them together and don't want to risk her having babies, the only way is to get him neutered and her spayed.

Normally, it’s not that big of a deal, but I, too, am a bit concerned about the buck being twice as big as your doe. In a couple of weeks you could get the vet to check for pregnancy by doing an X-ray...then you’ll know.

Latest posts

Back