Spay aftercare

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowsMum

Reaction score
Hey All,

I have read up ahead of my rabbits spay

(I say spay but I wouldn’t be surprised if Mellow is a Marvin due to the amount she is spraying me)

I have a question about after care -
Mellow doesn’t like to be picked up, she kicks, scratches and grunts.

We are working on this and building trust - for example she now lets me touch her feet to check her nails.

I have a concern about her spay after care. I have Seen I have to give her meds. She has never taken meds before and I’m worried about how to give these to her.

I’ve order some pet syringes of Amazon and will try putting some banana on the top and get her to it.

anymore tips?

To get her used to the syringe, put some all-natural apple sauce in the syringe and give it to her. If you give her only a tiny bit of apple sauce every day for a week she will learn to love the syringe and then when you are needing to give her the medicine she won't refuse it. If you are still having issues giving her the medicine, you can bunny burrito her so she can't get away.

Good info in the youtube video, Mariam and Theo.

Our Tan rabbit who transitioned out of high-vol, high-euth shelter despised being picked up and held for many years. He did have to take his analgesic Meloxicam post-neuter as recommended by our DVM.

A tip from our experiences. You can enter their restricted space post-neuter, and gently grasp and quickly move to your chest position swaddled very close to your chest. Then insert the oral syringe with meloxicam dose. Hopefully you can do this prior to somebun thrashing and vehemently rejecting the med or anything going near his mouth.

Some of our buns will clamp down and refuse to let meds go in, or not swallow right away.

You may want to ask the rabbit-savvy DVM staff how (easily) they were able to administer meds while s/he stayed in their care. After her / his alteration surgery, he/she will be drowsy, loopy, groggy from surgery meds.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-health/medical/neutering/

My thoughts will be wiih you as you nurture and give extra special care to your boy/or girl post surgery! It is so nice to have the spraying stop. Those hormonal spraying actions are unpleasant when urine lands in your face or anywhere else!

- Another website with info re: spay/neuter and post-op care:

http://rabbitresource.org/surgery-considerations/

I love that your making progress and building trust. I hear you on gender fairy visits!

Boy testicles will emerge I hope and then you'll know he's a male! Best wishes as you thoughtfully help Mellow through beneficial surgery.

Positive praises and kisses on the forehead. Compliment Marvin or Mellow lavishly as you gain her/his trust . Compliment in your soothing tone of voice after he allows you to handle him. "oh, you're such a good boy, i love you so much. i'm so proud of you for taking your medicine with your banana!"

You get the idea of how rabbits understand body language and tone of voice.... b/c our crew can immediately detect if I'm grumpy or stressed.

Your DVM should also give you several oral syringes to use with post-surgery analgesics. Our vet clinic will do this.

My thoughts are with you and Marvin/Mellow.

Latest posts

Back