Spanish Moss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milyvan

Reaction score
Is Spanish Moss safe for our furfriends? I've looked around and haven't found an answer anywhere!

For those who may not know, it's not actually a moss: I guess it's more related to pineapple plants.
Here's a Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_moss

I have my own "pet" Spanish moss I've been cultivating on some crossed wooden embroidery hoops ('cuz I thought it might turn out kinda cool) so it wouldn't have pollution or anything if I took some to grow for the bunnies but I can't find if it's ok for them or not.

(BONUS ROUND: If it is ok, what nutritional values does it have &/or lack?)

Anybunny gnaw? (Punintended.) Appreciate any info: Thank-you!

I caught my bun munching my Spanish moss, after she scaled my plant shelf to get to it (she's fine though, so that's a relief). Rascally rabbit! So I've ended up here looking for an answer to regarding the toxicity status of spanish moss -there is next to nothing on the internet about this plant and rabbits.

All I can find online about it is this reference: https://books.google.com.au/books?i...kQAQ#v=onepage&q=spanish moss rabbits&f=false

I guess if the wild rabbits use it as nesting material, it might be safe? Tillandsia's (air plant family) aren't on any poison list either, so that's also a good sign.

I've never seen it on a poisonous list. I teach horse nutrition to 4 H kids. Rabbits and horses have very similar digestive systems. It's not a plant that grows in Iowa so I'm not super familiar with it though.

emily_jane Thank you so much for the info and glad your rascal is ok! (I searched everywhere I could think of, too and same results.) So far it seems the consensus is it's ok but hoping to learn more since it grows everywhere here in FL and if it was ok I'd trim some for the furfriends: Apparently yours enjoyed it! ;)

I've never seen it on a poisonous list. I teach horse nutrition to 4 H kids. Rabbits and horses have very similar digestive systems. It's not a plant that grows in Iowa so I'm not super familiar with it though.
Good to know and thank you very, very much! :cool:

Well I have an American chinchilla rabbit. And had ate a whole bunch. So seeing if it was edible, which it is for human. It has been about four months and he is fine. If you look up hibiscus flowers and leave. It almost has the same type of herbal uses. And I feed my bun the hibiscus red leaves which he loves. And poops great.

Well I have an American chinchilla rabbit. And had ate a whole bunch. So seeing if it was edible, which it is for human. It has been about four months and he is fine. If you look up hibiscus flowers and leave. It almost has the same type of herbal uses. And I feed my bun the hibiscus red leaves which he loves. And poops great.
Glad yours is fine and appreciate the info!

Latest posts

Back