SOS escape artist pls help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan223

Reaction score
Hi friends,

so my lovely 6 month old holland lop realized today she can jump over her 28 inch high playpen fence. I have to keep her in her cage tonight because I just cant risk her getting out and eating paint of my walls for 7 hours while i sleep. ive been looking on amazon petsmart all these sites and i literally can't find a pen thats big enough (i want her to have a lot of space to run). i could possibly get one that isn't high enough and then get a mesh cover for the top.

or if i can find a way to like cover all the bottoms of my walls and fence off my living room id be fine w that too. any advice greatly appreciated

Is she spayed? Doing so can cut down on her excessive destructive chewing.

You can get exercise pens that are 4 ft tall. (Are you sure she is jumping, or is she climbing?) It's rare, but some rabbits will climb a pen wall. If that is the case, then you'll definitely need to cover it.

You can hook more than 1 pen together OR make use of an existing wall so the pen makes a larger area (as in photo).
upload_2020-2-19_20-40-2.png

she is not spayed (appointment is for march 25). i had put a sheet over part of her pen bc i was afraid of her hurting her teeth on the metal, so im pretty sure she jumped and didn't climb. i could be wrong tho bc it happened so quickly and it was so unexpected.

The problem is you have a great setup but i cant have her be able to get to the wall because one time she escaped her pen and did g-d only knows how many hundreds of dollars in damage to my apartment. I just ordered another pen thats 36 inches so i think what ill try and do is like cover the shorter one and leave her in the tall one overnight.

I feel so bad bc she's acting insane in her cage right now but i simply can't risk her getting out while im asleep and ingesting paint/ doing more damage to my walls. I really hope the chewing/ digging habits stop after her spay bc shes never acted like this before

You can use a blanket to cover the top,It works great :). Maybe get nic grids and put them against the walls. My bun is pretty destructive too, but she tears at the carpet when I’m asleep. My rabbit still tears carpet even though she is spay -.-

If she chews walls (which may stop after spaying) you can either use 2 ex-pens or just protect the walls ... perhaps with sheets of plexiglass or a piece of white board from the hardware store (usually 4' x 8' sheets).

so my lovely 6 month old holland lop realized today she can jump over her 28 inch high playpen fence. I have to keep her in her cage tonight because I just cant risk her getting out and eating paint of my walls for 7 hours while i sleep. ive been looking on amazon petsmart all these sites and i literally can't find a pen thats big enough (i want her to have a lot of space to run).

Here's my setup before my rabbits were free range. It's a 32" dog xpen (available in 24, 32, & 40" heights; see "BestPet dog pen" on Amazon) that worked well for my non-jumpers. It's rather heavy-duty, so rabbits can't move the panels. The eight panels yield ~28 square feet of area.

I placed a large plastic-backed rug underneath so they couldn't chew the carpet.

DSCF0412.JPG

one of my buns is a jumper too. i use extra bedsheets to cover the top of his pen which is about 2 1/2 feet tall. this can be used temporarily until you get a higher pen or you can keep it there permanently. i find it fascinating that he can jump so high!

Rabbits chew, but if they are randomly chewing walls/paint it can sometimes mean they are seeking salt/minerals and giving them access to a salt/mineral block can help with that. It won't stop them chewing cords or corners but if they are chewing wallboard or doors, it is sometimes for the salt.

Instead of looking at rabbit savy pens look at dog pens. I got an exercise pen for my escape artist that is 48" tall. She would jump over anything lower. I also looked everywhere and couldn't find anything until I started searching for dog ex pens. They also tend to be a bit less expensive as dogs are not considered "exotic" pets. Another tip, try to get one where the horizontal rungs are far apart as rabbits also are excellent climbers and will climb right out of their pens if they really want to explore. I also have a Holland Lop that can jump very high and she has never gotten out of the 48" high ex. pen. Good Luck. They can be so determined sometimes.

Latest posts

Back