Sore Hocks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FluffyBuns87

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a bonded bun pair who appear to have sore hocks. Their heels have small bald spots that are red. There are no abscesses or broken skin. This was discovered on Friday 12/6 during a nail trim. Since then we (my husband and I) have been putting silvadene cream on them. I have read mixed things about silvadene cream for rabbits, however this was suggested by an exotics vet. What has been your experience with silvadene cream?

The buns live in a large ex-pen area. The flooring is an area rug. It is not super soft, but also not super hard (we don't like to get fluffly carpets since they may eat the fibers). Obviously they are having the issues w/ their heels despite living in a carpeted area. We have tried woven grass mats in the areas they like to sit/lay. Our vet suggested a 'tuf-like mat,' so I got a couple of fake grass rugs. But looking into it, that doesn't seem like a good idea either. Our vet is board-certified in exotics. Maybe she meant something different? We have an appointment w/ her on Thursday and will definitely bring all this up. I was hoping to get some input from other bunny parents that have been in this situation.

Neither of them are overweight, btw.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

Latest posts

Back