"sore hocks"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, my mini rex had sore hocks. Can you tell me more about the living situation and the rabbit? What sort of flooring, are they over weight or have long nails?

Gary's treatment was neosporin and A&D cream covered by baby socks for a week, changing every other day. Now I just put A&D cream on once a week to keep the skin soft. I also added layers of blankets to his room so he had a softer surface to hop on since mini rex are so prone to it. He has perpetual bald spots but they have not gotten sore again.

I"m just going through that with my older bun Gimpy. He was getting sores on the back of his feet- bald red areas but the skin wasn't broken. I changed his flooring to a foam mat with a towel over it, it used to be coroplast. I also took him to the vet(was having some other issues too) and she gave him some antibiotic cream(neosporin would work fine too). Its been about 1.5 weeks and his feet are looking a lot better.

So I'd say, figure out why he is developing them(in my case, it was age/arthritis causing him to put pressure on his feet weird plus the hard flooring), fix that issue and start putting cream.

I got mine at CVS. Anywhere that sells baby stuff should have it. I'm not sure what Bepanthen is, so I'm not sure.

I use the resting boards in my litter boxes to keep feet clean and dry, they work great. I got mine from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002EWPXO/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Carpeting can be hard on the fur if it is a rex, which is why I use the blankets for padding and fleese is softer on the feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so sorry, I never saw any of these replies. I still am finding it hard to navigate through here and I thought I would get an email if I had a reply. It was pretty bad I am still not sure what exactly happened she ended up getting a blood infection for sure, I checked on her one morning and she couldn't keep her eyes open she was so tired. Luckily I found a vet just around the corner who treats rabbits and I got her all fixed up, she needed two shots, a course of antibiotics twice a day for two weeks. Also polysporin and benedryl cream on each once a day. I still don't know what caused it but we think she developed an allergic reaction to the shavings I was using, it was very delayed since I used the same type of bedding for the 7 months that i've had her. But am now using a pulp based type going between the carefresh type bedding. I do have a new problem though, now my two rabbits are fighting! Both the male and the female have been together for 7 months and have been great with each other and all the sudden fight when they are together. Both are fixed rabbits, so it is a mystery to me why they would fight when you generally hear that only happening with male and female either soon after they have been introduced or if one is fixed and the other isn't.

Latest posts

Back