Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sempiternuss

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My little boy has sore hocks. I noticed them two days ago, took him to the vet. The vet preacribed a spray with chlorhexidine and gave us a topical grease. The problem is, when I apply the grease, it mats his fur and when he hops around it gets, more or less dirty. I saw a lot of people use coconut oil as well. I bought just in case. I will be buying vetbed mats and lining my whole room floor with them but in about 10 days >< what is the best approach to this? I laid out blankets on the ground, put up a puppy pad in his litterbox and covered it with hay instead of the wood shaving i use. I will appreciate any advice!🙏 IMG_20221020_160934.jpgIMG_20221020_150914.jpg

This is his foot, it looks a bit redder on the photo than it is, i moved the fur down, and it wasnt inflamed anywhere else besides the heel

Attachments

• received_1245826079607197.jpeg
    received_1245826079607197.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0
If there's not an open sore, and he's not showing signs of having issues with walking or lack of appetite from pain, then it may only need a change to softer flooring surfaces to heal. I only apply an ointment if the sore spot is to the point it also requires bandaging(as advised by a knowledgeable rabbit vet). But that's just what I would do.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Sore_hocks

If there's not an open sore, and he's not showing signs of having issues with walking or lack of appetite from pain, then it may only need a change to softer flooring surfaces to heal. I only apply an ointment if the sore spot is to the point it also requires bandaging(as advised by a knowledgeable rabbit vet). But that's just what I would do.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Sore_hocks
An open sore wont just look red correct? And thank you!

A little redness and no sores, means you caught it early enough. Hopefully with the flooring changed to soft surfaces, that will help clear it up. The fur may not grow back for some time, usually the next molt, but you should start seeing the redness changed to light pink normal skin color, if it's just a flooring issue and nothing more is contributing to the soreness.

Latest posts

Back