Sore hocks on only one foot?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepe<3Tills

Reaction score
Tonight I noticed that my rabbit has what I suspect to be sore hocks on his right front foot only. The other feet appear heathy and are well furred without visible calluses. The fur on the right front foot is worn down exposing pink paw pads and the nails are more worn than on other feet. There is no obvious inflamation or infection, but there is one very small scab on the ball of the foot. My rabbit is free roaming (carpets on hardwood, no wire cage) and fairly active and I don't suspect he is over weight though he has a strong appetite. He is not much of a digger and has not dug recently. We moved three days ago, and on moving day he spent most of the day standing in his litter box for comfort. The litter box was changed daily. I haven't noticed him give any behavioral signs of pain such as pressing his belly to the floor. Does this sound like sore hocks/is sore hocks often just on one foot? If there are no signs of inflamation should I still time him to the vet? Thanks for your help!

Most of the time it is on both feet. Does he seem to be favoring that leg? Have you noticed a limp? It sounds like he is having some issues with his other foot, I would go to the vet to see what he/she thinks.

Thanks for your reply! I did take Tils to the vet and what it seems to be is that he got a very small cut on his foot that he kept licking and biting at. He debrided his foot. Now he’s on an anitinflamatory/pain killer and is getting twice daily compresses. He’s stopped licking/biting his foot but is so not so amused by the compresses.

Attachments

• 0D139095-8741-4E61-BF0C-55CD6FD01CD7.jpeg
    0D139095-8741-4E61-BF0C-55CD6FD01CD7.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 6
  • D7D11CD1-48EA-47F1-85FD-77734E238B58.jpeg
    D7D11CD1-48EA-47F1-85FD-77734E238B58.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6
He is adorable. Netherland dwarf? I'm glad you took him to the vet. He will appreciate it in the long run once he feels better. You could give him a tiny treat afterwards to make the experience better and he knows that he will have something to look forward to and may act better during.

Thanks, I don't think he realizes his annoyed face is so very cute ;). He's a Polish and weighs a touch under 3 pounds.

Thanks for the recommendation on treats- I've been doing the compresses before breakfast and dinner, but the extra treat could make it a happier experience for him and incentivize good behavior.

Latest posts

Back