Sore hocks help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mileybun

Reaction score
Miley has been suffering from sore hocks the past few weeks. The vets thinks it's likely caused by a cross between her being a bit chubby (she is now on a diet!), possibly arthritis and the fact she has poor posture.
We are currently using leucillin followed a soothing balm designed especially for animal's paws.
She is also having her paws bandaged with vet wrap (not too tight) and a padding from the vet called Renofoam to try and cushion them.
She is a house bun. I've swapped her big rug out for vet bed.
She's a very good girl normally and lets us put them on (although it takes two of us!) and take them off. She normally leaves well alone once they're on but has been licking her feet more than normal I'd say.
They don't seem to be improving, the hair is missing on the hocks in a little circle, the skin looks very red and inflamed, and also calloused but the skin isn't broken yet. She flinched when I touched them today 🙁
She is already on metacam long term for tooth root issues and is currently on a course of baytril due to a low white blood cell count. She is due to start another course after her next visit to the vet tomorrow.
Of course I'll chat with the vet tomorrow about her feet but does anyone have any experience here, any tips or tricks I can try for her!
She is hopping around normally.
I have silver sulfadiazine cream and a spray plaster coming tonight, and have ordered some sore hock socks from etsy, but they are coming from Australia and won't be here for a few weeks.
Her feet are all bandaged up but I'll try and get a picture tomorrow after her vet visit.

Hello and sore hocks is not a fun thing to go through but I do know someone that went through that with their bun and I can give a few pointers but besides that I'm not that knowledgeable. Number one. Do you have any rough carpet or wood that your bunny is hopping around on? The herb Chamomile is a great calming and pain relief herb for rabbits if you are struggling to put some ointment on her hocks or just to help her rest that's about all I have for tips, but ill let you know if i think of anything else, Get well soon Miley 🤕

My dwarf polish boy got sore hocks a while ago, but I caught it early. He just needed a change of flooring (think X-Large ridiculously fluffy dog beds. I found a sale😉). I gave him a couple of peppermint tea foot soaks. Healed nicely. My angora girl has so much padding on her hocks I think it would be weird if she did get sores😅. I’ve heard of Neosporin (original Neosporin. No plus anything) being used for less severe cases, but I’m not sure it will work for you. Curoxen might work, but again, your case sounds more severe so it may not work. I used Curoxen for a bit of outer-middle ear inflammation on my boy. Vetericyn Plus is a good option. My advice, take your bun to the vet, get some cushy flooring, and work out the weight and posture situation. Sorry I can’t be of more help🤷🏽‍♀️.

Thanks @FuzzyBun yes she is a regular visitor to our local vets! She is currently on Vetbed which is on top of a rug so her bedding is nice and soft. She also has a litter tray filled with deep hay to sit in too if she wants to.
Her weight is coming down nicely which is great. I have some flamazine which seems to be working a bit on her hocks but I'll definitely look up your recommendations for creams... And a peppermint tea foot soak sounds nice! The vet originally recommended padding them out and bandaging them but has recommended not covering them at the moment in case the bandages are rubbing her. She's going back early next week. Her left foot is the first image, right foot second.
Sorry double posted!

Attachments

• IMG_20230331_171321.jpg
    IMG_20230331_171321.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230331_171423.jpg
    IMG_20230331_171423.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Well after only two days of Miley wearing her new hocks socks from Bun's Best Life on etsy in Australia (they arrived much quicker than it said!) padded out with rabbit hair her hocks are so much better!! It's such a relief, they're much less red and swollen.

Latest posts

Back