Sore hocks, advice please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddy

Reaction score
Hey there!

It seems my 2 year old, male, Netherland dwarf bun, has developed a case of sore hocks?
His hocks are red, and has mild calluses as well. Though nothing seems infected, and no open sores either.

He doesn't seem affected by it though, he's still as happy as he's always been.

Thing is, I have no idea why he might be getting sore hocks?
Both my buns are kept indoors, in a big playpen, with the floor covered in baby play-mats and a big blanket - so it can't possibly be because the ground is too hard for his hocks?

While I do have a hard time estimating his weight, he does not look or feel to be too heavy for his size, in my opinion (ribs and spine can be felt as soon as you dig your fingers into his thick fur).

He is a very 'expressive' thumper though.
As in he'll thump when he's annoyed at me for having picked him up, or if I'm too slow at getting the treats out, and so on. Could this perhaps be a reason?

Would you say I should take him to the vet already, or should I leave it unless it gets worse?

Please let me know what you guys think!

I don't know if other people would do this, but I would put Neosporin on his hocks, and then wrap his feet in vet wrap so he can't lick it off. If it continues to get worse then take him to the vet. Our duck got a similar infection and the Neosporin cleared it up.
I bet he got sore hocks from thumping. Is he neutered? My rabbit thumped a lot and then he got neutered and calmed down.

I also just looked at your photo and I got the same celebration cake for my rabbit!:p

I don't know if other people would do this, but I would put Neosporin on his hocks, and then wrap his feet in vet wrap so he can't lick it off. If it continues to get worse then take him to the vet. Our duck got a similar infection and the Neosporin cleared it up.
I bet he got sore hocks from thumping. Is he neutered? My rabbit thumped a lot and then he got neutered and calmed down.

I also just looked at your photo and I got the same celebration cake for my rabbit!:p

Thank you!
When you say "vet wrap" do you mean any kind of pet bandages? Just want to be sure.
And yeah he's neutered, has been for a year - but he's always been quick to thump.
And yes, the bunny birthday cake is the cutest! :D

Latest posts

Back