Sore abscessed hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
I'm posting this for informational purposes as well as additional suggestions:

A friend of mine has a Flemish Giant buck with sore, abscessed hocks (the infection is spreading up the leg). Abscesses are drained and flushed daily.

Culture: Proteus mirabilis

Prescribed by vet: 20 days of Baytril (not effective).

After 20 days of Baytril, owner administered 9 days of penicillin (no effect).

ARBA vet Jay Hreiz has recommended a 4 week regiment of Chloramphenicol.

Owner is now into week 3 of Chloramphenicol with not much of a change in the rabbit's condition. Abscesses are still present. She's taking the rabbit back to the vet tomorrow.

Unfortunately, she is no farther ahead than we were with a doe in similar condition. We ended up clearing her up for a while without the use of oral antibiotics by draining wounds and flushing w/ penicillin. The infection eventually returned however.

Owner has been pushing probiotics. Any other suggestions are welcomed.

angieluv wrote:
These articles refer to humans with proteus, however, the article does suggest that proteus is not easy to treat. I really don't know the answer  but am thinking that a combination of an oral drug and possibly injectable penicillin for a longer period of time might do the trick.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/226434-overview

The penicillin at a higher dose may be an option as well, although if it had absolutely no effect the first time, probably not.

Did the Chloramphenicol at least make a bit of a difference?

I have also heard that the oral/injectable combo is important, ditto with beads and a systemic combo.

Gentamicin beads might also be an option, but I've had no experience with those.

Zithromax is another oral option.

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back