SOO frustrated!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Okay well even though Phinns been neutered for more than 6 months, he is still biting me...ALOT!

He's broken the skin numerous times, and it really hurts! :(

He just comes up and does it for no reason, and im kinda sad, because I feel like he doesn't love me. I don't know what im doing wrong!

Except for that Phinn has this weird fetish with my brother, my brothers 15, and broad and tall, so is Phinn just scared of him? My other brother and Dad are even bigger than my brother, so why doesn't he do it to them? He lunges and bites one brother, and is an angel to my dad and other brother.

Even whent he brother he hates is just in the room, Phinn will bite me.

Anyone know why? Oh and Phinns 1 year old.

Thanks guys,
A sad Silvie :(

ok, moving it ;)

Im not too sure about the biting, could just be his way of getting your attention? Is it a light nip?

Do you let him come willingly out of his cage? That might help if youre not doing it already. Also, maybe try just lying with him on the floor and petting him. Maybe he just wants you down on his level or something?

Haley wrote:
ok, moving it ;)

Im not too sure about the biting, could just be his way of getting your attention? Is it a light nip?

Do you let him come willingly out of his cage? That might help if youre not doing it already. Also, maybe try just lying with him on the floor and petting him. Maybe he just wants you down on his level or something?

I don't know what's going on with the emoticons, but...

Yeah That!:p

They have to know that they can trust you first, then comes the major payback:inlove:.

Sometimes rabbits bite not to be mean, but another way of communicating. I wouldn't take it too personally :). Bruno is a biter as well (although still a bit of a baby and is intact) and he bites for numerous reasons, most of them not anger related. Sometimes he'll give me a bite in the side when I'm sitting on the floor to tell me to move, or if I'm busy doing something he'll bite my ankles wanting me to pay attention to him. He'll also nip me when he doesn't like how I'm petting him or doesn't want to be bothered anymore.

Your brother might have a scent that Phinn doesn't like. Any strong deodorants or anything like that? My bunnies hate my brothers deodorant and will thump when he sprays it.

A stern No and putting some soft pressure on his head with your hand toshow some authority tellshim that it's not nice to nip.

Silly Phinn! More licking, less biting! It's ok Silvie, you know Phinn loves you! :)

:bunnyheart

I think it takes time for some buns to figure out that what would be acceptable nipping with another bun (for grooming or communication) isn't OK for us. Nibbles (well-named!) was very nippy when I first got her - but she was also pretty young. Now that she's hit adulthood, she's really backed off with the teeth, though sometimes when she's really excited, she forgets and nips me a bit (not so gently!). I do think it's hard for them to realize that we don't have thick fur...

for my part, her nipping drove me crazy at times (it sure can hurt!), but I also worked with her a lot - as someone else said above, the payoff will come, but it takes time.

My guess is that Phinn is being Mr. Alpha Bossy Bun with you, to some extent. (Nibbles is Ms. Alpha Bossy Girl - or was...) I'd bet that his age has a good deal to do with it, too.

Is there anything that you're doing that might be making him react to you with unhappy nipping?

Am also wondering if some of his nipping might literally be overenthusiastic grooming? That was the case here, for a good many months. If that's what is going on, well... keep in mind that, by bun standards, he's not doing anything wrong. But he does need to understand that hard nipping isn't acceptable when he's with you, or other people.

Have you tried not giving any sort of reaction when he nips? Hard, I know, but rabbits are GREAT at attention seeking, so he probably gets something from nipping that he doesn't get elsewhere, so maybe try ignoring him totally when he nips, not a word, no eye contact, just carry on as normal, but then give him lots of love and attention when he is being lovely, he should hopefully learn.

It could also be he is trying to tell you something. I have explained to my Sky that I don't understand what he means when he bites, but that hasn't helped, lol. So maybe when he does it,whilst ignoring him, try to figure out if there could be any meaning behind it.

Good luck, nipping bunnies are not fun.

Latest posts

Back