Sometimes... Things Happen

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyCait

Reaction score
As some of you know I lost my boy Mary Jane yesterday. On top of that, I've had a lot of... let's call it drama... in the past week. Last night I totally lost it. A screaming, sobbing kind of lost it.

But life goes on. We (my wife, our friend, and I) had to run to the Farm and Home a few towns over for calf bottles. I didn't plan on being acosted with three giant stock tanks full of baby rabbits. Then it dawned on me, next weekend is Easter weekend. Of course they would have oodles of them, waiting to be bought as a novelty TOY for stupid children. And I just lost it again. Here were beautiful, loving, sweet rabbits, all waiting for some stupid person to come along, buy it, and ultimately neglect or dump it somewhere when they were tired of it. And here I just lost a rabbit I loved for very much and gave the utmost care to.How was that fair?? I went out to the car and my wife comes out with me... And asks why don't I just get one then? If life was going to be so hard for them (statistically at least) then why don't I take one home?And I snapped. I did it. I walked in there, stuck my hand in the stock tank full of tiny tan bunnies, and waited for one to pick me. One did. Then I felt bad and I set him back down in the pen, walked away. Then went back, stuck my hand in again. Same bunny came over to my hand and sniffed it inquisitively. I scooped him up and there was no way I was putting him back down again. At the same time my friend picked out a baby to take home for her autistic step son, who ADORES my rabbits. I had said at least twice before how a rabbit would be a good thing for him, could only help. I also think she was bothered by my "poor soon to be neglected bunnies" speech... *shakes head at self* So technically we bought two bunnies from them.

I was weak, and then enabled... And unable to resist. It was naughty. It goes against what I believe in... And I did it anyway. A part of me still feels ashamed... But at the same time, I understand why I did it. I only hope no one is too quick to judge me.

We named mine Stir-Fry, and she named hers Ralph (despite the suspect of it beinga girl). Right now they are both home with me, until tomorrow when I get them all set up to take Ralph home full time.

Not sure WHAT Stir-Fry is... The sign on his tanksaid mini-rex and mini-lop, but I don't think he's either of those. Also no clue on age, young. I'm pretty sure Ralph is too young to be away from mom so he's going to be under a tight guard.

Stir-Fry

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

Kisses

IMG_5166.jpg

And Ralph

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5147.jpg

IMG_5148.jpg

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5155.jpg

I don't judge you at all. I think under the circumstances I probably would have done the same thing. And you have the capacity to give this little cutie a great new home so I think really you have done a good thing. Clearly he chose you for a reason.

Gorgeous orangey-tan colour, and Ralph's colouring is just amazing too. I love his markings. I know a friend of yours is going to get very good rabbit advice so I'm sure he has a great future ahead of him as well.

I know we'll enjoy seeing many more photos, and hearing the shenanigans that go on.

I'm with Crystal, I would have done the same thing also. Why would anyone judge you~ because you gavetwo little buns aopportunity to a great life now? I'm sorry for your loss.Stir Fry and Ralph (cute names) already looks settled in their new home! Congrats!

Beautiful bunnies! Ralph's markings are absolutely stunning. Congrats to both of you. I know these bunnies will lived a life filled with pampering and love.

Beautiful bunnies!

By his red coloring, I would guess that Stir-Fry might just be a Thrianta. If so, she or he will be gorgeous as an adult. Their coats get even darker red. Thriantas are considered "the fire of the fancy" in the ARBA. :) Of course, many breeds do come in red but considering what I'm about to say about Ralph, I'd guess that Stir-Fry is purebred too.

And Ralph is a black magpie Harlequin, looks possibly purebred since the markings are almost correct. Harlies are a hard thing to breed correct markings into, so that may be why he's looking for a pet home since his aren't quite perfect. Ralph is also going to be a really striking adult! Already is!

What gorgeous rabbits! Sometimes these things are ment to happen, I think you were ment to give Stir Fry a good home

At least we know these two bunnies will never wind up in a shelter and will be well-loved.

In your shoes - I would've done the same thing (and we added someone to our family a couple of weeks ago from a TSC...so I understand).

You need to do whats best for you - sounds like this was it!

My goodness! They are just so darn cute! I don't think that anyone would blame you for buying a bunny from the pet store. They'd have been sold anyways and likely to a worse home. I normally don't support buying pets from stores but in this case I think it was the right thing to do. He'll have a very nice, happy home with you.

Ralph is amazing!! But Stir Fry is also soo cute!

I don't blame you..I would have done the same thing. I have been close to it. Thats why my boyfriend has a "pet store off limits" for me. Literally.

such beautiful buns. i almost didthe same thing. i saw some buns at petland i pet them and held them (i changed all my clothes and washed my hands when i got home beforei interacted with solara, just in case) and i fell in love. i couldnt get them though. and i was afraid they were sick and would get solara sick. i actually believe they were californians. they looked like them, or a mix. i totally know how you feel!

How adorable! I don't really agree with buying from pet stores/feed stores....but sometimes it just happens. Every animal that comes into our lives was meant to be there for one reason or another. I was angry with myself for a few days for buying a male mouse from Petco (he was seconds away from going as snake food if not)...but the love I get from him just beats out the "bad thing I did" in my mind. It was 3 years since I purchased an animal from a pet store, but....oh well because a petstore was going to be my only option for a mouse anyway.

Well....I sure love little Stir-Fry and Ralph already & can't wait to hear more about them!

They are both cute as heck though!! I have been wondering though.. How is that baby doing? I read the threads about the little girl! But I havent heard anything new about her since then! :)

I feel for you--those pics of Stir Fry are just so adorable, with the story it made me tear up. I'm so glad he has a good home.

Latest posts

Back