Something wrong with the eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
Yesterday I notice a small lump on the right eye of my doe. I didn’t think so much about it, because it was tiny and the eye was normal.

But today when I saw her, the eye had changed shape, the lump become bigger and she have more dirt around the eye. She still have a big appetite but it’s more tired and slow.

How do you best clean around the eye.

What could be the cause?

I have a vet appointment tomorrow morning, with a rabbit knowledgeable veterinarian.

IMG_5034.jpg
View attachment 40003
View attachment 40004

Last edited:
Hi Hermelin.
Looks like it might be an infection, possibly the E. cuniculi protozoa microorganism.
Getting her to that appointment you've made at the vet tomorrow is the right thing to do.

Hi Hermelin.
Looks like it might be an infection, possibly the E. cuniculi protozoa microorganism.
Getting her to that appointment you've made at the vet tomorrow is the right thing to do.

Thanks for the information, truly hope she will be okay.

I wonder is it normal for a rabbit to have tremors, I’ve never owned a giant bunny before. She will turn 6 years old in may.

Because recently when I pick her up or when I cuddle with her on my stomach, I can feel slight tremors/shaking from her back legs.

The tremors in her back legs would seem to further indicate the presence of E. cuniculi, the reason being it's a protozoa which infects the central nervous system.
I'm sure the vet will work things out for you, I very much hope so.
If she's comfortable with domestic living, and if it's at all possible, it might be an idea for her to be indoors with you. The virus works on the immune system of rabbits, so if she were mine I'd try to give her the warmth, comfort and security of being inside.
My best wishes to you both, and please keep us all informed of her progress.

The problem with her, is that she hate being indoors. She was supposed to be free roaming indoor rabbit. But she becomes destructive during the night and scratching my bedroom door. She will also stop going in the litter box, tipping it over.

So the 8 hours during the night will leave one or two rooms destroyed and keeping everyone in the house up all night.

Tried for 2 months to get her used living indoors but she truly dosen’t like being indoors.

She will also become more grumpy indoors with biting, thumping and grunting towards humans.

Outdoors she will binky, dig and run around, a rabbit that’s cuddle and she started to give kisses instead of biting. She will always run up to people and greet them and bump her head for scratching.

None of these behaviors did she have indoors. So she’s a lot happier outside than indoors.

I also want to have her indoors but my parents won’t allow of it because of how much she destroyed and messed up the rooms. And also on how much she like being outdoors, feels bad to take it away from her.

Hey again.
You're absolutely right, it would be bad to take it away from her. If outdoors is where she's happiest it also will be the place she gets better the quickest.
I know what it's like to try getting them to settle indoors, and not destroy the house in the process. My little family of seven, three girls and four boys certainly have their moments. They occasionally still have nights when they just want to dig holes in the floors and walls, which is really great fun (that's what they think), because they all sleep in my bedroom !
Most of the time they're fine now and have stopped scrapping and emptying their two littler trays all across the floor, bouncing off the walls and chewing everything they see... every day... and all night, every night.
It took a lot of time, and a lot of patience, broken sleep and a lot of me muttering curses to get through it all, but they really are quite good now.
Anyway, I know it's difficult for you, but try not to worry too much about your girl. It might take a month or two to get the situation under control, but the vet will know the right way to proceed.
Bye for now.

E. cuniculi isn't going to cause a lump by a rabbits eye. Possible causes would be an abscess or cyst. Treponematosis(rabbit syphilis) can sometimes cause a small lump around the eyes, nose, or mouth, that will later develop into lesions. Then there is myxomatosis, which even vaccinated rabbits can get a mild form of with nodules. Whichever the cause is, it's likely your rabbit will need to be put on a rabbit safe antibiotic and an anti inflammatory like meloxicam at the very least.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syphilis.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Nod_myx/Nodular_myxo.htm

If she isn't having any hind limb or balance problems, the tremors could be because she is experiencing pain. If she is a giant breed rabbit, 6 is considered old for them, and they can also be more prone to joint problems, especially with their hips. I would suggest making sure your vet does a thorough exam to make sure she isn't developing arthritis, spinal problems, or joint problems due to her older age.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/caring-giant-rabbits/

If she's acting subdued and not doing well, particularly if her body temperature is low and she seems cold(which will happen when a rabbit is sick) then you definitely need to bring her indoors and keep her warm. If she is feeling unwell then she isn't likely to be destructive at all or even move around much. If she is active and destructive when you bring her in, then she likely isn't too unwell and is probably feeling well enough to be out in her regular area.

E. cuniculi isn't going to cause a lump by a rabbits eye. Possible causes would be an abscess or cyst. Treponematosis(rabbit syphilis) can sometimes cause a small lump around the eyes, nose, or mouth, that will later develop into lesions. Then there is myxomatosis, which even vaccinated rabbits can get a mild form of with nodules. Whichever the cause is, it's likely your rabbit will need to be put on a rabbit safe antibiotic and an anti inflammatory like meloxicam at the very least.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Abscess/skin_abscess.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Bacterial/Syphilis.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Viral_diseases/Nod_myx/Nodular_myxo.htm

If she isn't having any hind limb or balance problems, the tremors could be because she is experiencing pain. If she is a giant breed rabbit, 6 is considered old for them, and they can also be more prone to joint problems, especially with their hips. I would suggest making sure your vet does a thorough exam to make sure she isn't developing arthritis, spinal problems, or joint problems due to her older age.
https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/caring-giant-rabbits/

If she's acting subdued and not doing well, particularly if her body temperature is low and she seems cold(which will happen when a rabbit is sick) then you definitely need to bring her indoors and keep her warm. If she is feeling unwell then she isn't likely to be destructive at all or even move around much. If she is active and destructive when you bring her in, then she likely isn't too unwell and is probably feeling well enough to be out in her regular area.

Thanks, for the information. I’ll see tomorrow how it goes. Just feel a little bum that her insurance will first be active in summer, because the insurance company first reviewed and took time before she got approved to get insurance. So everything I’ll have to pay from my own pocket [emoji5]

I hope she will have a few more years to live, she’s such a lovely bunny.

You're lucky you can get insurance at all. Here in the US insurance for rabbits is pretty much unheard of and everything is out of pocket. But yeah, these things always seem to happen at the most inconvenient time.

I hope it all goes well and is just something minor and easily treated.

It was nothing truly serious, the vet told me to wash the eye twice every day, she will have to get eye drops 7 times during the day and I’ll have to put an antibacterial eye ointment 2 times a day for a couple of weeks.

She had a small infection right under the eye lid which was irritating her. If the lump becomes bigger she will be put on an antibiotic cure, if the eye ointment didn’t work. But the lump it’s still small and not too large, so the vet thinks the antibacterial ointment will work on her.

The rest of her was healthy, so now I hope the treatment will work on her [emoji5]

Latest posts

Back